Float tang on Savage 12 in Bell and Carlson?

Trent

Just got a bell and carlson medalist for a savage model 12 and put it on last night. Everything fits good, but i was wondering if i need to float the tang on it. Thought i had read that a savage tang should always be floated. On this stock it is not and seems to fit just like it was bedded. Safety and everything functions just like its suppose to. Do i need to dremel it and float it or is this fine?
Thanks for your help!

I would try it first. I have always bedded the tangs on my Savages with the thought I coudl always grind it out if the gun didn't shoot. I still have the tang bedded on all three of my Savages...................:D

I would try it first. I have always bedded the tangs on my Savages with the thought I coudl always grind it out if the gun didn't shoot. I still have the tang bedded on all three of my Savages...................:D

Yes this ^^^ Although I went the opposite & floated my tang, there is no reason to not test it first.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it..... or is it "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is?" :D

t

Thanks for the reply's guys. That is what i planned to do, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't a no no for some reason.

Oh, I thought it made it worse :rolleyes:

But what is it about floating it that makes it shoot better? Will Remingtons shoot better with a floated tang, or is it just Savages?
Just Savage rifles. Don't do it on a Remington. I have the Savage 12 F-Class in .260 Rem. I skim bedded it and floated the tang after finding it would not shoot well. It now shoots very well. Try it both ways to see whats best in your rifle. You can always put it back if it does not shoot better but i would say it will shoot better. Another thing to consider is the bedding/action screw tension. Check out STAN PATE and you will see what i mean. Good luck with it. ..... SEMPER FI! .... LARRY

Oh, I thought it made it worse :rolleyes:

But what is it about floating it that makes it shoot better? Will Remingtons shoot better with a floated tang, or is it just Savages?

To clarify as much as I can. Floating of the tang on Savages has proven useful due to the location of the rear action screw as opposed to the Rem 700 & clones thereof.

Action with the Rem footprint have the rear action screw actually located in the tang. The Savage model rifle has the rear action screw located just in front of the trigger as opposed to behind it.

The Savage setup basically allows the Savage tang to "float" out in space. If the bedding at the tang isn't done correctly (think sllightly higher than the rest of the bedding) the tang can act as a lever, camming (for lack of a better term) on the action as the rear action screw is tightened.

This camming action has the ability to negatively affect accuracy & possibly bolt manipulation, trigger function etc (in severe cases).

With the Rem, it would be difficult if not impossible to float the tang as the rear action screw directly attaches to the tang. Any type of floating of the tang would remove any clamping force on the rear of the action & generally give the shooter a bad taste in the accuracy department.

Hope that helps some,

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.