FLINCHING - How Do You Deal with IT?

A quality, light trigger with no creep (reccomend Jewell w/ ~1lb. or lighter if you are OK with that) that is almost unconciously squeezed while your concentration is otherwise totally on crosshairs on target. For prone shooting, practicing the 'hard hold' has also helped me alot. Seems to work well, for my unbraked, no extra padding 300RUM. I can shoot that thing all day like this and not notice it spitting the 210g at 3K. Course this is a bit more mild than shooting the 240g at 3K last year. This year's load seems like a pussycat. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Edit: the point of the light, no creep trigger being (obviously) that it will break (especially if you are totally concentrating on the target) before you have a chance to flinch

Last edited:
I used to flinch till I started holding the crosshairs on the target, concentrating on the bullet going right thru the X and squeezing really slow so I didn't know when the gun was going to go off.
It still got hard after a while on hard kicking rifles, so I just got a piece of dense foam and put it behind the recoil pad, in between my shoulder to help eliminate the recoil.
Now my 338RUM is getting a Muscle brake on it. :D
Tarey

Practice with a caliber that does recoil more.

I don't use the lightest bullet for the job required. Reason is, generally, when using a heavier bullet, slower burning powder is utilized, therefore, more of a PUSH than a WHACK.

Listed to a guy talking about his 300 win mag being somewhat of a handful to shoot. I asked what bullet he was using.....140 gr!!! Did not bother to ask....but why even bother with a Mag if you are using 140 bullets????!!!!?????

Years ago for me a 4-6 lb factory trigger set up made mentally focusing on the target a battle between sight picture and when's this **** trigger going to go off. jmden right on point. For me a custom trigger with a light pull significantly reduced flinching. As I got older and into more comfort than hardcore, I've become a fan of brakes along with high quality muffs and ear plugs has also helped. I believe in eliminating that which is easy to eliminate (the above) first, then the rest was up to me. I'll admit occassionally I still do flinch...not sure if one ever cures it a 100%.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.