Flinching because of muzzle breaks

Shane just for fun if you rebuild put a jewell set @ a pound or less and you won't have time to flinch

Shane just for fun if you rebuild put a jewell set @ a pound or less and you won't have time to flinch

LoL, It's already got a jewel set at 10 oz.:) Since that is what I am used to using, I know when the trigger is going to break. I'd have to drop it down to around 4oz or less to be suprised by it.

I shoot a jewel to but 4 oz even on a jewell would scare the stuff out of me. they seem a lot lighter than a normal trigger I guess because on no creep and a crisp break

I can honestly say that I react more to muzzle blast than I do recoil. Of course that can be hard to prove cuz they often go together, but I have noticed that I shoot a bit better from an uncovered shooting position where blast is disbursed.

I suppose that live targets dictate differently than inanimate, but look at the cartridges that are really successful in long range target competition. The 6.5-284 is often the top of the rankings power-wise (along with the occasional 300 WM).

Personally, I've found that shooting my 6mm-250 is a TON of fun to shoot because of a lack of muzzle blast and it gets a ton more attention than the other rifles in my cabinet for that exact reason.

At any rate, I suppose that if I were trying to fire a 338 RUM from prone I'd feel differently, but at this point I see muzzle breaks as more of a liability than advantage because of my sensitivity to recoil. I've fired a 338 RUM several times from the bench and was surprised at how manageable it felt, but I've fired enough different rifles from the bench and then been shocked at how the change in geometry affects felt recoil when going prone to know that it is quite a different ballgame.

On the other hand, I'd not care at all to sit next to a partner shooting a RUM w/ a break. I gotta imagine that it'd SUCK no matter how many forms of hearing protection I'm wearing!

On the other hand, I'd not care at all to sit next to a partner shooting a RUM w/ a break. I gotta imagine that it'd SUCK no matter how many forms of hearing protection I'm wearing!

The RUMs aren't near as bad as the 50 BMG rounds. A fellow touched off two of those in a gravel pit the last time I was shooting down an adjacent seismograph trail. Holy Moly... I thought a bomb had exploded! No rifle I've heard fired comes anywhere close to the muzzle blast of a 50 BMG.

The RUMs aren't near as bad as the 50 BMG rounds. A fellow touched off two of those in a gravel pit the last time I was shooting down an adjacent seismograph trail. Holy Moly... I thought a bomb had exploded! No rifle I've heard fired comes anywhere close to the muzzle blast of a 50 BMG.
A fellow setup a 50 BMG on a bench next to mine, and the blast blew a spare set of head phones, and a partial box of .338 RUM off my bench! Fortunately, I had allready relocated about 20 yards back to watch. It cured all the the thoughts I ever had of thinking someday I gotta get me one of those. If you've got one, and are using it- you're a better man than I am Gunga Din.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.