Flashlight for multiple day backpack hunt???

Old thread, but I'll throw my 2 cents in. I have 3 lights in my pack. One is a $8 enegizer brand headlamp. It is really bright and batteries last goos as long as it doesn't get turned on. I also have a cingle AA flishlight by Coast/LED Lenser. It is really brigt for its size, weighs next to nothing and I always have AAs. I also carry a Led Lenser p14. It is extremely bright and runs off AAs not the expensive batteries. Batteries usually will last me an entire hunting season.

I now try to carry at least one spare, if not two.

Back in 2010, I was part of a party of 4 that climbed Pikes Peak for what was supposed to be a day hike. After summiting, the guy I knew and his wife decided to get a ride down, but I and the woman in the party whom I met only that day decided to walk the 13 miles back to the parking lot.

Long story short is she became sick on the way down, later being diagnosed and hospticalized with food poisoning and we did not get off the mountain until 10:30 PM which is pitch black in those woods.

I had a flashlight with me that I checked before the hike but it failed to start when I needed it. It was an LED type and had new batteries, but for some reason it failed. The woman had a headlamp that ran on watch batteries and eventually that died. She did not have spare batteries nor a screwdriver to open it.

Now I have at least one backup. I also had the same model flashlight as the one that failed get very hot while not in use - so hot it was almost a fire hazard, so I threw that one out too. Cheap Wal-Mart things. The LEDs have some sort of electronics that can fail.

I now try to carry at least one spare, if not two.

.....................................................................................................................
Now I have at least one backup. I also had the same model flashlight as the one that failed get very hot while not in use - so hot it was almost a fire hazard, so I threw that one out too. Cheap Wal-Mart things. The LEDs have some sort of electronics that can fail.

Did the bad one have Surefire 123 Lith bats??? Just trying to learn, since that is what I use.

I like a light with a red setting. It takes about 20 minutes for our eyes to adjust to night vision. Red does not ruin your night vision like a white light will. I believe it also doesn't alarm game at a distance like a bright white light will.
Having said that, obviously a white light is needed at time and sometimes better for example, setting up camp, field dressing or cooking in the dark.

But I like the red, especially for hiking into a stand site or hunt area in the pre-dawn dark, or for dinking around, looking for something in the pack in darkness when you don't want to ruin your night vision.

I see that this is an old post but I am going to post my opinion anyway.

I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". When I am picking out a piece of equipment that could potentially help save my life, I do not skimp. I couldn't imagine using a $10 or $15 Wal-mart special for such an important task. That being said, I like the Surefire U2 Ultra Variable output LED. It will go from a low setting of 2 lumens for 175 hours to a very bright 100 lumens for 2 hours. There are 6 total settings for different amounts of needed light. Easy to turn on, (tailcap switch) and easy to adjust, (rotate bezel). It is easy to use with gloves and is VERY durable and trustworthy. Many accesories are available for it like a red filter for use if you do not want to mess up your night vision. A drawback is it is somewhat pricey but again, if it could potentially help save your life... I'm just sayin'! Another drawback is that it uses the CR123 batteries, again pricey but they have a shelf life of around 10 years. (and don't buy the cheap ones, get the good Duracell ultra's)

Also for a backup I would also suggest a headlight that is capable of emitting enough light that could really help, not one of the cheap wally world things that may or may not work. A Petzl DUO LED 14 is again some what pricey but it is a very rugged and reliable unit. It is made for caving and watersports so it is waterproof also. It will burn from around 5 hours on the highest setting to around 180 on the lowest setting. It uses 4 AA batteries (here also dont skimp on batteries, get the good lithium ones) Easy to use and a great packable backup light source.

Each one of these lights can be had for around $150. You may be able to find them cheaper on ebay or some other site. These are both great companies to work with as far as if you have an issue with a product, ie; need to return for any warranty work.

U2 Ultra LED Flashlight (White) from SureFire

DUO® LED*14 | Petzl

Just my 2 cents worth, BK

Thanks to all the posts, guys!!!
It has been a great source of good information, and tips.
Keep them coming.
I guess in backpack hunting, a good light source is of the most important things to have around!!!:)

I have a Surefire LED, and I like it a lot, but it is heavy for carrying and it isn't a headlamp. What I'm really looking for is a lightweight headlamp with two lights and two switches. One light for walking and one for long distance. I haven't found it yet. I hate having to go through 6 switch punches to get the light I need. I've never yet had a use for a strobe light.

Petzel Tikka 2. I have bought them for everyone in my hunting party as a Christmas gift and they are the only thing to consider in my opinion. They are light and you get 150 hours out of a set of batteries. They are a 4 led lamp and the lightest thing you could ask for.

I do a lot of trekking here in new caledonia, it is under the tropic , so days are short.
Most of the trekking and hunting sart in the dark and does finish in the dark!

I use petzl tikka xp with on set of new battery in the lamp for each new trip.
Some trip last 3 nights and the petzl xp can last 3 night on economical mode no problem.

for hunting trip i also add to my backpack a led lenser P17. led lenser optic are far more efficient than maglight,more economical on battery.

Plus if you shoot a deer at sunset like most of the time i do here, p17 make easer to recover the animal in the bush. because of the very wide optic you can scan a very large area.

About the petzl tikka xp, I did last year a trip with my sailing catamaran from Noumea to Boundaberg(australia), 800 nautical miles, 5 days trip and of course 4 long nights behind the sterring wheel since the autopilot **** up the first day.

I use the tikka in red light mode for 4 consecutives nights and it did work very good,you can still read map and gps and at the same time doesn't destroy your eyes night vision capacity.

For just a regular flashlight I've had a Surefire Backup (110 lumen max) or used a Nitecore Tactical R2 (200 lumen max). Both awesome little lights for your regular flashlight. Small, light and run off one CR123. The surefire has a dual setting for hi or low beam and the nightcore has a adjustable hi, low or strobe.

Hey, you're talking to folks who want to go light. How much do these lights weigh? My Underwater Kinetics Dive light weighs 3 oz. with two CR123 batteries.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.