fl dies leaving scratches down neck?

Gerald89

Hello all,

A friend pointed out that my .243win hand loads had a series of scratches down the neck.

It is a full length die and I cannot see any marks inside it.

I tried various different makes of case in it and it happens to them all.

It was ok a while back,I have tried to clean it.

I have made sure there is no oil or lube up there.

I then tried an older die I have and it is ok.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks Jeza

I have to believe there is a scratch or small burr inside the die that you just can't see. Have you tried to polish the inside of the die with emery cloth or rubbing compound or...?

No haven't tried anything like that yet.

I Ran a bronze brush through it.

How about carbon could it have such an effect?

It is a series of scratches about six covering probably a third of the diameter of the neck.

Do people clean out their dies in any way as a rule?

Jeza

I once picked up a set of RCBS '06 dies at a gunshow for $7. I could not belive my great find until I sized some cases; they left one or two scratches in the case neck.

Inspecting the neck area of the die, I could not really see the burr in the die, but I put some fine sandpaper on a cleaning jag and spun it in the neck area with a drill. This I followed with some crocus cloth.

Die works excellant now; case necks have no trace of a scratch.

THis is really not uncommon and while there are times it is caused by small burns in the die, more often then not, it is a result of a much different problem.

You always hear about lubing your case bodies but you should never lube your case necks with a liquid or paste lube or you will get pressure dents in your shoulder. Well, this has some trueth to it but many take this as meaning there is no reason to lube your case necks in any way and this is not true.

As such many just lube the case body and run the case up into the die and over time and many strokes of the dry neck brass over the die, a slight smear of brass will start in the case neck. We are talking VERY small, pin point small.

As time goes on, this little pin ***** sized amount of brass that has attached to the die neck will continue to collect brass as more and more cases are passed over it until it gets to the point that you say, hey, something is scratching my case necks!!!

This can also be caused by not cleaning your case necks before sizing and the abrasive carbon fouling will speed up this occurance and result in the same thing only in most cases over a shorter period of time.

The cure, same as mentioned earlier. Since I have one I chuck the die body up in the lathe, turn it to around 1000 rpms and with some cutting oil and emery cloth polish out the brass. The brass is very soft compared to the die body steel and with emery paper, you would be hard pressed to take any meaningful amount of steel out of the die body, you will polish it up a bit but not much as they are heat treated very hard.

Still, the brass smear will come out easily.

DO not use agressive grit abrasive paper. Anything over around 800 grit, in my opinion is to coarse and not needed.

Again, sounds like the same problem as a burr and the cure is the same, the reason for the problem is totally different.

I recommend lighly lubing your case necks if you are not actually bumping the shoulders back and just neck sizing to prevent this brass build up.

If you are bumping the shoulder, you can use a dry lube such as a quality graphite to lube the inside and outside of the case necks and this will greatly reduce the chance that this will happen down the road.

Kirby Allen(50)

I just put a small amount of IOSSA bore paste on a patch wrapped around a shotgun bore brush and spin it by hand a couple times. Works like a champ!

PS I lube my necks and have no problem with dinged shoulders, etc. I do however clean my dies regularly to keep the accumulation of the wax-based lubricant down to a minimum.

Thanks for your replies every one!

I really suspect the build up of brass or carbon on this occasion then.

Will try some emery cloth.

Kirby, I did exactly as you said hydraulically dented my necks with too much lube then read not to lube the neck and stuck with that method /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

As you say a will try a tiny amount of lube on it and see what happens.

Jeza

Just got round to purchasing some emery..........

The result is no more scratches and some brass like deposit on the cloth!

Thanks all

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.