Fixed Power Scopes

The Martini Enfield is the lge martini henry action and needs a rimmed case to extract.
I had a .358 barrel and wanted to do something which could push a heavy bullet fairly quickly without high chamber pressures.
I settled on the .35 Whelen and looked for a case to convert. The German 9.3x74R RWS round is ideal. So I got 60 and shortened them to 64.5mm then necked them down and outside neck turned them. They work very well.
The other case there is a 6.5x54R that is made from a 7.62x54 Russian case, sized and fire formed to the 6.5x55 Swedish.
It is the spare barrel for the Martini and is a great caliber.
The rifle and both barrels will go with me to New Zealand soon for deer and pig hunting. Im leaving the rifle there as it doesn't have much practical use here in WA. I mostly use a .223 and .243 here on foxes, roos and rabbits.
Im building a bolt action 27" 6.5x55 Swedish for long range.
Good luck with the hunt for a scope and happy hunting

Here's the link:
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Certainly looks like the time to buy fixed power scopes as they are really cheap.:)

The SS scopes get good reviews although I have not peered through one myself. Bravo, have you compared yours with any high end (or plain expensive) scopes? If you have what is your opinion?

I have the mil/mil quad version. The only thing I have done is check the adjustments and they are spot on. I have a few scopes on my rifles I can compair it to. A weaver, Falcon Menace, MK4 and USO. I have the feeling that it'll run with the falcon glass wise. Not great, but good.

swfa ss all the way, they're top notch and built to military spex. gets very high ratings from the real mil sniper community. i have two in 10x42 and just picked one up here are lrh in 12x42 - all are mrad mil-quad reticule scopes, 30mm. i would consider 10x over 6x, too.

swfa ss all the way, they're top notch and built to military spex. gets very high ratings from the real mil sniper community. i have two in 10x42 and just picked one up here are lrh in 12x42 - all are mrad mil-quad reticule scopes, 30mm. i would consider 10x over 6x, too.
If it is for a general/all around hunting rig I would go with a 6x.

Bravo4 Thanks for the report. Would you buy more of them?
I guess so, this is my second one. I wish they made a 4x version...duplex and low turrets would be nice as well. Can't have it all I guess.

Does it come in ... ?
Not that I'm aware of.

I bought this scope to go on a rifle that will never get shot past the 600 mark. Really for hunting out to 400, but needed A LOT of adjustment. Plus the quickness of using holdovers/hold off with the reticle is nice. The adjustments are good and repeatable.
I used it hunting last year and shot animals from 40 yards to 200 with no problem. A running deer,hog, or coyote up really close might have been though. A couple animals were right at dark, not a problem.

I pulled several scopes/rifles out earlier just goofing off, nothing serious. With all on 6x, the glass on the SS is pretty much on par with the Falcon mentioned earlier. Like I said, good but not great. As to be expected for $300. Not quite what my Weaver and MK4 are (though the Leupold was well over $1K more), and can't compare to the USO (which is well over $2K more...it's a loaner).

400yds is a hell of a long way for a .35 Whelen. The .35 projectiles are usually designed for short to medium range and slower velocities than something like the .300 Win Mag for example. The drop would become dramatic after 250yds.
Id put it in the 25-200yd class. What do you think?
A 6x scope with excellent optics would do fine. Quick target acquisition, better light gathering, wider field of view and adequate magnification for the occasional long shot.

400yds is a hell of a long way for a .35 Whelen. The .35 projectiles are usually designed for short to medium range and slower velocities than something like the .300 Win Mag for example. The drop would become dramatic after 250yds.
Id put it in the 25-200yd class. What do you think?
A 6x scope with excellent optics would do fine. Quick target acquisition, better light gathering, wider field of view and adequate magnification for the occasional long shot.
The 35 Whelen is one of the most under rated medium bores made. When you apply Quick Load info to the equation it becomes a totally different round reaching near 338 Win mag. territory. The gun rags and ammo makers have diluted the loadings for this round because of all the weak rifles chambered for it, Remington 760-742 and various antique bolt actions that can't take the higer chamber pressures. Get it up around 62000psi a 200gr AB can reach 3000fps and with a 225 AB or PT and you can see close to 2900fps and a 250gr bullet at 2700fps is nothing to sneeze at.
The 6X scope will get the job done on most rifles and the 35 Whelen is one of them.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.