Fixed or vari power scope?

mpk1996

I am getting a new rifle, a kimber montana in .257 roberts and am trying to decide which scope to put on it. I have narrowed it down to these two:

Leupold FX-3 6x 42mm fixed power or
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x 36mm vari power

this will be a lightweight deer rifle that I will use from any where from 0 to around 250 yds or so (maybe 300). so, mainly short range.

As i see it, the benifits to the fixed power is simplicity and a little bigger obj. it is a tad heavier and the one I was looking at has the LD duplex scope with a couple of dots for placement at different ranges. it is a few dollars less than the vari, but not enough to worry about. I do worry that 6x may not be as good as 8x at the long range and maybe too much up close. although on my other vari's i usually keep them at the 5-6x anyway.

the benifit to the vari is obviously the ability to change power, but with a slightly smaller obj. also its one more thing to fiddle with.

anybody else have any fuel to add to this debate?

please post your opinions. thanks

I used a 6X weaver for years on a 270 here in PA and never regretted it. I would carry good bino's if you are concerned about horn quality before shooting though. 6X is plenty to shoot a deer with out to your max of 300 yards. But it may not always give you enough magnification for evaluating horns or determining button bucks from does if that is a concern.

Vari power, but in first focal plane reticle. Vari power in second focal plane will not have the same accuracy on diffrent magnification. The crosshairs dont grow equal in size to the target.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.