Fitting my old 700 action to a new synthetic stock.

Agarbers

I have a 1980s Remington 700 in 30-06. The recoil is a little too much for my shoulder when plinking or sighting in. Since the new recoil pads are all for straight backed stocks and my wood stock is curved I thought I would just buy a new Remington synthetic stock with the recoil pad already built in. I assumed it would be a direct drop-in thing, but I was wrong. After an extended amount of time and material removed, the action and barrel fit into the stock but the barrel is not free-floating like I wanted. I think a thin washer under the front screw would lift the barrel just enough to be free floating. Is there a problem with this idea? I was thinking of getting a new longer front screw to make up for the added distance.
Any comments or concerns?
Thanks.

Just thought I would throw this out there. First off, just about every gun I have is bedded/ freefloated, so recognize the importance.

however, we have 3 of the rem 700's with the really cheap tupperware stocks,that are not freefloated. in theory, this is not good...but...

all 3 of these guns shoot extremely well. I wont be floating them because there is just no reason to. i have shot 2 of these alot and i have no issues that normaly might come from barrel contact.

Just a thought, you might shoot it and see how it does?

I will try shooting it again as soon as I don't have to worry about sweat dripping in my eyes. Since I do commerical heating and cooling work by the time I get home my eyes hurt from all the salty sweat that gets in them. Not to mention the range points right in to the afternoon sun.
Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.