Fishing in Maui ??? Update

Magman, I've used Start Me Up out of Lahaina for the three previous years in a row. They run a very professional outfit with well-maintained boats. Unfortunately I never did catch a marlin but it wasn't the charter's fault. I thought that Finest Kind looked good as well (I don't think I actually saw a "bad" setup) but I haven't tried them personally. Hoped this helped a little. Good luck and I hope you catch the big one. -- Don

I used the Iwa Lele when I was there. Don't know if they are still operational or not. Great guys who worked hard. What time of the year are you planning on going?

2 1/2 Weeks!!!

Don, ya know I'm really not going strictly for a huge marlin but I sure wouldn't pass on a chance. I'd be happy with a few Tuna or Dolphin.

Well we ended up going fishing with Start Me Up. They do have a great crew and we had a lot of fun.

I ended up catching a 49" Ono which is a Wahoo anywhere else.

We went 2 for 3 for the day.
IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

This really makes me look forward to Salmon season.

If I could ask, what did a day of fishing cost and what was included? Would you go with these guys again?

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Congratulations!

I'm glad it worked out for you Magman. I'd been thinking about asking you so I'm glad you posted. Did you get to grill it up?

My family was in Cabo about the same time you were in Maui. My wife and kids got to reel in some tuna and I finally managed to get a marlin; 107" striped marlin. -- Don

Did you get to grill it up?

No we didn't have anywhere to cook it. Would have liked to though.

My family was in Cabo about the same time you were in Maui. My wife and kids got to reel in some tuna and I finally managed to get a marlin; 107" striped marlin. -- Don

That's great sounds like you had one heck of a time. My next trip is going to be to Cabo or Alaska and I'm definitely planning on more fishing time. I wish I would have had more time on this trip but it was just nice to get out of town.

Do they tag and release the marlin down there? 107" what did they figure that weighed?

The day before we got to Maui the same boat caught a 350 lb marlin.

We went for sailfish out of Cancun years ago and in two days we reeled in 34 sails, a handful of mahi, half a dozen amberjack, a bonita and a huge red snapper.

Man, that Cancun trip must have been a blast! They estimated the marlin at 160lb; we released it but I don't think they tagged it. They said it was fair sized for the area. We kept the tuna though and brought some to a beachfront restaurant where they cooked it up as a sample platter. We stuffed our faces with that stuff! Some of the best fish I ever had was that fresh tuna. 'Course everything tastes better when you get it yourself... -- Don

I will keep that in mind for next time. The captain and mate were more than happy to keep it, being they get $4.50-$6.50 per lb for the whole fish when they sell them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.