First win for "Checkmate"...........

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mtnwrunner, Oct 14, 2013.

1. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

Well, it was a great morning. I had spotted this beauty just after sunup and by the time I got to my pre planned route to where I had a manageable shot, he had already bedded down. My two brothers were with me from out of state (I was guiding them) and one of my brothers had already got his buck and I knew that this one was a bruiser. I told my other brother, Jeff, that if he wanted this one, it was his. So, we got set up, ranged him and waited. He was at 475 yards and he knew we were there and there was no way to get into shooting position without him really seeing us. I dialed my dope and was going to back up my brother in case he missed. I used a cow call to get him up and when Jeff shot, I could not tell where he shot but the buck was still standing and I sent a 215 berger through the heart from my newly built 300 winny, "Checkmate". He managed to stumble about 30 yards and he went down. The 215 made the appropriate jello in the chest cavity and I could feel it on the outside shoulder when I laid my hands on him and thanked the man upstairs.
    Here are a couple of hero pics along with pics of the berger damage and bullet. I weighed the bullet when I got home and it was 112 grains. Completely blew the heart apart and he is just over 30 inches wide.

Randy

Attached Files:

2. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Very nice! The antlers are great, but I really like seeing a buck enough age to have a bit of forehead, and a big body like that.

3. mtnwrunner

Yup, I know what you mean. He was really long body wise---about the longest backstraps I've ever seen on a deer.

Randy

4. jskmtd

jskmtd Well-Known Member

Randy,
    That is the perfect way to break in a new rifle. Congrats on an awesome buck!!!gun)

5. ShooterMedic

ShooterMedic Well-Known Member

Randy, I new you would break that rifle in right. That is beautiful. Where you up in same area you hunted last year? Be sure to say hi to Jeff for me. Again what an awesome buck.

Kyle

6. marioq

marioq Well-Known Member

All I can say is wow!!!!!

7. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

Dear Lord, please forgive me for I am a sinner. I have envy at the moment of unthinkable proportions at this moment. Amen

8. mtnwrunner

Yup, same general area. It was a real crappy day yesterday so I figured they would be out this morning. He was all by himself. Hey, I just saw a photo of your buck---that is a dandy also!

Randy

9. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

What an awesome day that must have been... A memory that you and your brothers will share for the rest of your lives.

Well done Randy!

10. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Well said!

11. clemens

clemens Well-Known Member

Wow. Beautiful Buck.

12. Mike 338

Mike 338 Well-Known Member

Great buck Randy.

13. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Very nice buck!! Thanks for the performance pics as well!

14. ukenout

ukenout Well-Known Member

Great looking deer!