First Varmint and Predator. Help please.

matt_3479

Finally i got sick of borrowing my buddies rifle or going under gunned with a 22LR or even short ranged with a 12 gauge shot gun and decided i need a rifle that would allow me to go hunting with my buddy, not be under gunned or short ranged. The only issue is my younger brother (11years old) needs one too and since i just purchased a 300. wsm my brother decided to go half in with me. The good thing about this is my younger brother doesn't hunt that much due to his age and since im not old enough that he can legally hunt with me, technically its going be mine. Im trying to get my hands on my dads friends rifle a Ruger MK II 22-250 with a leupold VX-3 on it. He was interested in selling it a while back but i heard a rumor he wanted to pass it on to his kid.

Thats the rifle we are going after and if we are unsuccessful in getting it we were just wondering should we stick with a 22-250 or choose a different caliber. Shots could be from 0-500 yard with the average around 300 and less. It will be used on targets, ground hogs, and coyotes mainly. Im not worried about model or scope at this particular moment, all i was asking is caliber. I was leaning towards a 204. Ruger for the longest time, until recently i starting thinking a 243. win would be better. My brother wanted a 223. rem and then now wants a 22-250. I love the 22-250 as well as the other two calibers i mentioned. What is your suggestion?

I'd go with the 243. It'll shoot a 55 BT at 4000 fps and the BC of that bullet is actually better than the 224 55 BT. Plus it is a much more versitile varmint round shooting 75-87 grain bullets. Then there are the 85-100 grain bonded or copper bullets if you want to step up to big game.

My first varmint rifle, at age 16, was a 220 Swift pre 64 Winchester mod 70. Sure wish I still had that gun. Enjoy whatever you get!!

+1 for 243. As your little brother becomes more successful he will want to shoot farther and farther. While the 22's are screaming fast, the 243 has the advantage of heavier, higher BC bullets that will stay stable and have less wind drift at 500+ yards.

+6 on 243. economical, readily available ammo ro reloading components, tons of reloading info available, proven track record, vast selection of guns chambered in this round, plenty of energy for game including deer etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.