First time wyoming antelope

Thanks for the replies. We will each be buying a PP for the 2013 season. We would like to hunt public land as we are by no means trophy hunting our first time out. Any info on some certain units that have a decent amount of accessible land would be appreciated. Looking to stay in the eastern half of the state from what i have read so far.

There is so much for you to learn! Do a search on this site in google (top right)Wyoming preference points, wyoming draw odds. Subscribe to the huntn fool mag or borrow the wyoming one from a friend. It has a ton of info, and shows trophy units versus fun hunt units. The G&F has all the info to, its just a lil bit of a pain to navigate around the site until you get use to it.

There are several units you are looking for, but its for sure still a lottery. One year they could have left over tags for a unit, the next year it takes a point to draw. Some of the left over tag units have very little public land. This can be good and bad. Good if you find a land owner that lets you hunt cheap. Bad if you draw with nowhere to hunt.

First thing you need to do is understand the draw. Know that there ARE four types of draw. Regular license random draw, Regular license points draw, Special license random draw, and Special license points draw. The special side has way better odds for each hunt, but the tags are higher. So you are paying for odds one way or another. Points are for sure cheaper. Once you figure out how the draw works you can then decide the odds for different units, thus helping you decide your 1st, 2nd choice.

Units/area was another obstacle for me. Antelope units are different than deer units, or elk. For instance, area 100 deer is area 57 antelope. If you are trying a combo hunt this can be real confusing, as deer have a region tag and an area tag within the region, usually with later hunt dates. Also units side by side can have different hunt dates. This can screw you up! Just imaging your first choice having a different hunt date than your second choice. Then combine all this with a different specie on a combo hunt.

This takes a ton of research to figure out. Good news for you is, you are starting at the right time(early). You could probally just do a search under Topgun and find anything you want to know about Wyoming! Man if it wasn't for him and Waptibob I probally would still be lost on all this.

There is so much for you to learn! Do a search on this site in google (top right)Wyoming preference points, wyoming draw odds. Subscribe to the huntn fool mag or borrow the wyoming one from a friend. It has a ton of info, and shows trophy units versus fun hunt units. The G&F has all the info to, its just a lil bit of a pain to navigate around the site until you get use to it.

There are several units you are looking for, but its for sure still a lottery. One year they could have left over tags for a unit, the next year it takes a point to draw. Some of the left over tag units have very little public land. This can be good and bad. Good if you find a land owner that lets you hunt cheap. Bad if you draw with nowhere to hunt.

First thing you need to do is understand the draw. Know that there ARE four types of draw. Regular license random draw, Regular license points draw, Special license random draw, and Special license points draw. The special side has way better odds for each hunt, but the tags are higher. So you are paying for odds one way or another. Points are for sure cheaper. Once you figure out how the draw works you can then decide the odds for different units, thus helping you decide your 1st, 2nd choice.

Units/area was another obstacle for me. Antelope units are different than deer units, or elk. For instance, area 100 deer is area 57 antelope. If you are trying a combo hunt this can be real confusing, as deer have a region tag and an area tag within the region, usually with later hunt dates. Also units side by side can have different hunt dates. This can screw you up! Just imaging your first choice having a different hunt date than your second choice. Then combine all this with a different specie on a combo hunt.

This takes a ton of research to figure out. Good news for you is, you are starting at the right time(early). You could probally just do a search under Topgun and find anything you want to know about Wyoming! Man if it wasn't for him and Waptibob I probally would still be lost on all this.

I put in for 23 as 3rd choice seeing alot of roads into three large areas of BLM, at the time I didnt do enough research to know that those roads are private, its really hard to see no tresspassing signs on the map :) the land owner list seems to exsist mostly for outfitters it seems, gun)----------------lightbulb

Solohunter---Are you saying you drew a tag for unit 23 and are having problems now trying to figure out where to hunt? If that's the case, send me a PM and I'll get you going on exactly where to go and how to get there to fill your tag without paying a rancher or risking a trespass ticket.

Solohunter---Are you saying you drew a tag for unit 23 and are having problems now trying to figure out where to hunt? If that's the case, send me a PM and I'll get you going on exactly where to go and how to get there to fill your tag without paying a rancher or risking a trespass ticket.

I have been told where to go many, many times,,, :D

my scouting time will be limited to one day and didnt want to waste it in mule deer ranges, I have found some access but not what I originally saw, The lack of BLM access makes a camp site even more tricky in the hunt areas,
with beaver creek rd turning private and now Iberlin being private roads
my option is the south west chunks that the state ( hopefully not yet private) road runs thru,,, i expect company in the hunt areas,,,,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.