First time shooting the LRH

Cruizin

So I took out the new rig yesterday.

I'll try and get some pics up tonight but these things are pretty cool.

Savage target action
Neal Cooper camo green stock
McGowen Barrel and Harris Brake Varmit countour
6.5x284 8" twist 17" long
Nightforce 5.5x22 np-r1

H4350 was shooting well at 100 yrds. Took me a few shots to figure it out but got some nice groups in the .3's and it was really windy. I was shooting off a front rest with some sand bags in the rear under the grip. I was thankful that these bags were at the range cause I need to either make some or buy some.

What bags do you guys like to use as an all purpose bag or one for out in the field? I was thinking of making something. Maybe just a sock with some popcorn seeds?

These guns are fun......makes me want to sell my rifles!

I wasn't able to use the crono yesterday cause it was really windy. It seemed to be really accurate with 47-48 grains. 48.5 and 49 showed ejector marks on the head.

The NP-R1 recticle is pretty sweet. Once I have my load dialed in I will work up a drop chart out to 600 or so off the recticle.

Sounds like a sweet rig u have there. I used to have an XP in 6.5-284, and it was generally speaking the best XP i've ever used so far, IMO.

As long as the conditions were favorable that rig and it's dope were accurate all the way out to 1000 yds.

Here are some pics....

011.jpg

010.jpg

I was ****ed cause the 5th shot was the flier. The wind was blowing really bad and.... well I'm going to blame it on the wind... lol.

009.jpg

008-1.jpg

Last edited:
Went to the range today. Got to shoot over the CED. I think I've settled on 48 grns of 4350 140grn amax at 2600 fps exactly. She is shooting really well. Punched everything into exbal and was hitting steel out to 800. Tomorrow I'm going to take her for a walk in the mountains.

Nice rig and great shooting!

I'm almost ready to start working loads up for my 6mm-284. Your targets have me inspired!
Mine sports a 21 inch McGowan barrel with a 1:8 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.