First time at a 1000 for the .308

rick523

The weather was pretty good today, and I could not suppress the urge any longer. So I loaded everything into the jeep and headed out. I have really been wanting to shoot this .308 every since I traded for it back in Dec. I've shot it a couple of times just working up a group that I thought might work, but never worked up any drops. After getting my drops worked out to 500 I figured what the heck might as well go straight for a 1000 had set my steel up on the way in, so I just headed down the field to what looked like 1000 stopped got out the 1600 took 3 readings 1060-1061-1060. Good to go, got set up ran my numbers. first shot not quite enough wind 1 click left, round 2 on the way, right edge hit made an adjustment, **** to much (maybe) try again same spot, one final adjustment, let my last 6 fly. All in all I was pretty satisfied for the first time out with this rifle. 7 for 10 I'll take it and run. 308 at 1006.jpg
Rifle specs: Rem 700 VSSF, 26" factory barrel, Badger ord. tac knob, & brake installed by GA Precision. I installed a Jewle trigger set at 1.5 lbs. Factory HS Precision stock. Nothing really special but it shoots pretty well for a factory rifle.
Load info:175SMK's, 43grs.IMR4895 @ 2640fps. (not fast but accurate),Win. Cases, fed210 primers. Plate is 10"

Nice shooting !
7 shots in 10'' Not bad at all .
Factory Barrel . Gotta love the Remingtonsgun)

Thanks, yea I think it will be a shooter, once I really start to tweek a little. I don't have much experience with the .308, I picked it up to have something for trigger time without burning the barrel on my 7mm. I just bought a new mil spec 5r a few weeks ago in 300wm getting stuff togeather now to start playin with it a little. Finally found some 215 hybrids for it yesterday.

Guess I should have mentioned the 308 is wearing a NF NXS 5.5x22x56 with MOAR Reticle. Noticed I left that out.

Nice! Gotta love the 308 practice to save the barrel life on a mag gun....Especially practice at 1000. You really learn the weather condition changes with that 308 all the way out there! Makes the change to the mags more confident.

I do the same. Shoot most of my practice with a Savage M12 to save barrels.

Nice! Gotta love the 308 practice to save the barrel life on a mag gun....Especially practice at 1000. You really learn the weather condition changes with that 308 all the way out there! Makes the change to the mags more confident.

I do the same. Shoot most of my practice with a Savage M12 to save barrels.
Thanks, yeah that's what I'm wanting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.