First shots through R-Bros Rifle...

milanuk

Shot #1... fire-formed one case to make a modified case gauge to fit my Stoney Point comparator tool.

Shots #2-6... bore-sighting and getting on paper (forgot the scope was last used @ 1000yds... on a .223 :rolleyes:)

Shots #7,8,9,10, & 11... centering up for load testing. I hate it when that stray shot goes exactly where I called it...

2008-11-23_01a.jpg

In the interest of full disclosure... they didn't build this rifle from the ground up. It was originally assembled by someone else as a .308 Winchester, and shot like a house-afire in that configuration. Situations change, and the criteria that defined what I wanted to use this rifle for did too. I had a 40X Prone rifle with two barrels, one a Broughton 5C .308 Win (Palma barrel) and a second Lilja 6BR. The rifle didn't work out as well as a switch barrel as I'd hoped (note: never re-use a factory recoil lug, even if it's pinned), so I decided to 'recycle' the barrel as a 6-6.5x47L. It had all the right specs: three groove, 1-8" twist, fluted medium Palma contour, approx. 29.5" long w/ a 0.750" dia. muzzle tenon (for mounting front sight). R-Bros took the barrel, trimmed back the tenon, threaded it for a Badger Ord. Thruster brake, chambered it for 6x47L with a barrel length of ~28.25", and coated it. They also corrected some issues w/ the action - only one lug had been contacting (surprising, considering how well it shot).

ReloadingStuff001.jpg

ReloadingStuff002.jpg

Very nice rig - one of those projects where what I wanted is exactly what I wanted (for a change). Seems to shoot the B105VLD pretty well so far. Gonna get a load fully worked up for it, and then start looking for a load w/ the Hornady 87gr VMax or B88LD bullet... and start thumpin' some coyotes with it!

I have had it out a bit... just under 125 rounds through it so far. B105VLD seated well into the lands, 2 thou neck tension, 39.5gr H4350 & Rem 7.5 primers, all running @ ~3080fps seem to be working pretty well so far. The max 15x scope is throwing me off a little (how do those Hunter BR guys shoot with 6x???) but the gun seems to be holding just a little over 1/4 moa vertical, at least out to 440yds or so.

That Badger Ordnance Thruster brake is an interesting unit... loud and obnoxious little cuss, but I'd almost swear it pulls the rifle *forward*.

I've got a couple boxes each of Berger 80gr FB, 90gr MEF, and some Hornady 75 & 87gr V-Maxes. My hope is for the 87 V-Max to shoot really well... .400 BC and I'm guessing what... 3200-3300fps out of it? Sounds good to me!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.