First scope with turrets, help needed

MNwalleyehunter

I'm looking to by my first scope with Turrets. Right now I shoot mostly 3x9x50's in a couple different makes, but ready to make a little jump to targets.

A little info: I will be mounting the scope on my .270 used pretty much only for deer hunting, with shots 400 yards and less. The only time I would use it for 500 and 600 yards shots is at the range, just to do it. I have read some info on the FFP and SFP's and I'm not convinced at my level that I need the upgraded FFP. Maybe the next step with be the FFP, but for now I just want a good quality scope with turrets for a good price.

Now I realize it is like asking whats better a ford or a chevy, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you talking target turrets? Or are you just planning on stepping into dialing your shots rather than holdovers?

At those ranges, I don't see any reason to get any higher than a 3-9x, provided you've got good enough glass. If you're going for something better, make sure you get good quality glass. I find clarity to be much more useful than higher magnification with lower quality glass. When you start to zoom way in, the picture is terrible. You just can't see well enough to make anything happen.

I would still recommend a ffp scope, even though you don't think you want it. And make sure the reviews you read on whatever you're looking at comments on good repeatability on turret adjustments. There are plenty of good scopes available in a lot of different price ranges. Totally depends how much you're planning on spending.

I would think that for a 270 for use out to 500-600 yards, hold over will work just as well if not better then dialing up for each shot. No risk of getting lost in your dial ups and works faster anyway. Works very well for ranges out to 1/2 mile and even more. Past that, certainly dial up is more precise.

It all depends on your budget. If you want to dial up, you will want a good quality scope, probably at least $1000 investment. IF you want a zero stop which is also smart, your looking at $1500 to $1700 investment.

If you use hold over, you can get a very good scope for $700 in the SWFA 3-15x 42mm. Great reticle, FFP, good glass, comparible to most $1000 scopes. For a budget long range scope, very impressive. The reticle is set up on mil dot specs but has see through diamonds on the mil dots and 1/2 mil hash lines so there is a line every 1.8 moa. For hold over out to 1/2 mile, you can make very precise shot placement.

Now, if your budget allows for it, there are better scopes out there but these are not needed for what your looking to do to be honest. You do not need a +$1500 scope for under 700 yard shooting and hunting.

Kirby and others. I'm in the same position. I'm interested in your recommendations on particular brands and models of scopes that do have turrets and a zero stop, with good optics and are a good value a like the SWFA scopes you listed.

While I too plan only shooting out to 500 yards or so, I simply prefer an uncluttered view in the reticle and think it will be easier for me to dial rather than hold over.

I like the 4-16x for the range even though a lower magnification would be perfectly fine in the field on large game.

Sightron seems to make nice scopes for the price. What do you think of them? (Unfortunately they don't have a SIII in 4-16x - just 3-10x and then 6-24x).

Nightforce seems real nice but expensive. I was hoping to spend in the $1k range.

Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x with turrets and Zero Stop seems nice. I don't like the fact that it does not have hold over marks for wind.

Swarovski Z3 seems decent also. Really like the 4W reticle. Don't like the fact that they have no parallax adjustment.

Vortex Viper PST seems to have it all but seems to be getting a reputation for scopes failing.

Would really like to hear your opinions on these and others.

The SWFA SS does not have a zero stop. Your going to spend a lot more to get that feature. If your doing to dial up, it would be smart to invest a bit more and get that feature, it is a good feature for dial up shooters for sure.

The Zeiss is a good scope, great glass but it does not have exposed turrets which may be a pain and it also does not have a zero stop feature. You can zero the turrets but it does not have a zero stop.

The nightforce is a great choice but as you mentioned, costly but you would be spending your money very wisely with that investment. Still, depending on your rifle, the 3.5-15x may be pretty large and heavy for your application.

The Sightron SII are decent scopes. Would prefer to see an SIII. That said, I think there are others that would offer more then the SII will offer you.

The Swaro has great glass obviously but that's about the end of it. For a dial up scope or hold over scope, there are better ones out there for the amount of money you will put down for the Swaro. Again, nothing againt them, about as good as it gets for glass but that's only one feature and it takes many to make a great long range scopes and you can get them for less money.

I have owned a couple of the PST 4-16 and PST 6-24. For some reason, in my opinion, the 6-24 is a superior scope to the 4-16 models. I would own a 6-24, I will not own a 4-16.

Still, for a long range scope in the $500 to $800 range, you would be hard pressed to really improve much on the SWFA SS for the money spent. Again, its not a PRETTY scope, it does not have a lot of fluff and frills. Just works and that's about it.

Thanks Kirby. Unfortunately the SWFAs are not available in Canada.

As I understand it, the new Zeiss HD5s do have taeget / exposed turrets and a zero stop - although you can only do one rotation of the elevation turret; 16.5 MOA. That should be plenty for me out to 500 yards.

I guess the only thing I have against it then is the lack of hash marks for wind hold over on the reticle.

What about Trijicon ? Anything there worth looking at?

Thanks Kirby. Unfortunately the SWFAs are not available in Canada.

As I understand it, the new Zeiss HD5s do have taeget / exposed turrets and a zero stop - although you can only do one rotation of the elevation turret; 16.5 MOA. That should be plenty for me out to 500 yards.

I guess the only thing I have against it then is the lack of hash marks for wind hold over on the reticle.

What about Trijicon ? Anything there worth looking at?

The 5-25 model of the HD5 has exposed target turrets, the 3-15 model does not have target turrets. It does have capped turrets that can be set to zero. The 5-25 will run around $1200 in the US with shipping on average, probably more in Canada.

Nothing wrong with Trijicon scopes but I thought you wanted a scope that was under $1000. The Trijicon scopes in this power range are in the $3000 range. They do offer a higher power scope that is in the $1200 range.

Thanks Kirby. I had not realized that the Zeiss 3-15x had capped turrets. I would have been sorely dissapointed had I ordered online.

I've accepted that I'm not going to get what I'm looking for in the under $1k range. So I'm interested in what the best values are for scopes with exposed turrets, good glass and a zero stop in the 4-16x range or so.

The Sightron Siii 6-24x and Vortex Viper 6-24x PST both sound good and perhaps I shouldn't be stuck on a low end of 3-4x. I think the Trijicon Accupoint has exposed turrets in the 5-25x model but i dont think it has a zero stop. I plan on using this rifle some day out west for an elk hunt and in Quebec for a Caribou hunt. The reality is that it will probably see 2 weeks in the next decade in the field and the rest of the time on the range.

if you are looking for a scope in the $1000 range, the Bushnell Elite Tactical has knobs and they have several reticle options to look at. imho, you will be best served at that price range with the Zeiss. it would be VERY rare that you would go past one full turn of elevation on the knob.

Yes the Zeiss does seem pretty good. The only thing I have against it is the lack of windage markes on the reticle as I think I would prefer to holdover for windage. Guess I can learn to dial for it.

You've got to compromise somewhere.

The Swaro Z5 3.5-18x BT seems like it has everything I want except for FFP.
- Exposed turret with multiple zeros (please correct me someone if this is wrong!)
- Good glass
- 4W reticle allows hold over for wind
- Very light

But like everything Swaro it is more expensive.

So I am sitting between:
- Swaro Z5 3-18x BT 4W SFP
- Zeiss 5-25x Target exposed turrets with Z-Plex, SFP, dial for windage, zero stop
- Sightron 6-24x Target exposed turret, FFP, no zero stop
- Vortex Viper 6-24 PST, FFP, exposed turrets, zero stop, MOA reticle so dial for windage. Glass quality probably not as good as the first three.

Right now Vortex Viper seems to have all the features I am looking for with probably a slight compromise on glass quality.

If your willing to spend $1600 on a Swaro that has no zero stop and very little vertical adjustment range, why not save up another $350 and get the NF NXS 3-15x 50mm with HST and zero stop and more vertical adjustment range then you could ever use? The NP-R1 reticle has the windage hold off lines. The reference lines on the vertical stadia of the crosshair will make no difference if your dialing up for each shot and FFP is also meaningless if your dialing up for each shot.

Kind of interesting how we start comparing $500-$700 scopes and discuss several, then we move up to $1000 scopes as a budget line and discuss options and now you say your thinking about a $1600 swaro......

Do you have a set budget for this project? IF not, my recommendation would be the NF NXS 3-15x 50mm with HST, Zero stop and NP-R1 reticle.

The swaros have a well earned rep for fine optical performance but they are not as well known for a lot of dialing up for each shot. The NF is PROVEN all around for this type of function so you would be wiser to go that route if your looking to spend this amount of money. If your willing to spend $1600, you would be very smart to save up another $300-$350 and get the NF, you will not be unhappy.

For what your looking to do, its certainly not required.

Looking at your list of scopes, you have an $800 scope on the bottom end, $1600 scope on the top end and of all of them, I would still recommend the SWFA SS 3-15x 42mm for what your looking to do. If you know anyone in the states, you can easily have them order the scope and have it shipped up to you no problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.