First Sandhill

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by devildoc, Oct 15, 2007.

1. devildoc

devildoc Well-Known Member

Well, I've been havin' a pretty good season so far, Got my first Bandtail Pigeon and this weekend got my first sandhill crane. Pretty darn happy to do that in one year. They were both immature but we didn't care, it was all high-fives and grins when we put these on the ground.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Nice shooting! Here's one of my first sandhills:
    [​IMG]

3. justgoharder

justgoharder Well-Known Member

congrats!

Every year i get my sandhill 'hip number' but i still haven't gotten any, I'm jealous!

4. HeskethPritchard

HeskethPritchard Well-Known Member

Do you eat them? Are they nice eatin?

5. devildoc

I'm gonna cook this one up this weekend, I'll let you know how it tastes afterward.

6. HeskethPritchard

HeskethPritchard Well-Known Member

Dd the weekend is almost over in my part of the world so........ How'd it taste??

7. buffalorancher

buffalorancher Writers Guild

The first one I shot we breasted it and put the meat on the grill with nothing else. It was terrific and tasted a lot like good beef.

8. TheSollyLama

TheSollyLama Writers Guild

care to give away the honey hole? I never even get the HIP number for it because I've never even seen one. But I'm always up for something new. How do you hunt them? Being a crane do you shoot them like ducks?

9. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

That neck!!! Should be good for a bunch of crawfish;)

10. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

Eatin' Sandhill

My first Sandhill was so tough, everything we ever cooked in that kitchen was tough after that.

It was the Mathuselah of cranes!

AJ

11. lerch

lerch <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

This is just something funny i remeber from college. I was walking to class one day and I hear the call of the sandhills above me and i start lookin up like i am sure most of us hunters do. while searching for the distant flock i notice several fellow students (hippies) looking at me like im nuts or high or something. Its then i thought how much all those people are missing out on.

then again i aint never been able to shoot one of the suckers so i guess im missin out too!!!! Damn things just fly to high. Most the guys around here say they taste just like a giant quail but i dont see how since they are a long flight animal????

congrats on thumpin a couple of them

steve

12. devildoc

This one wasn't tough, I thought it tasted more like a giant dove than a giant quail. I ended up tryin' to cook it like a turkey, I think I'll do it different next time. As for the long flight thing, if you watch em' fly they aren't workin' too hard at it.

As for my honey hole, can't give that one up. But there are plenty of places along the lower Arkansas where you can get em'. You just hunt em like geese in the fields. It helps if you can learn to make the call.

13. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter Well-Known Member

My Grandpa shot one and said it was the most horrible thing he ever tasted!