First rifle build...input and experience please

Guinness

Good afternoon all,

I am in the process of having a custom 7mm Rem Magnum built and I would appreciate any input you all might consider appropriate or be willing to share. Basically, I have a basic list of parts put together but if you have any reason to change this list, that's what I'm interested in hearing. Obvioiusly any further budgetary considerations would be obliged too...I don't need/want to spend the whole piggy bank. The rifle will be used almost exclusively for hunting from flatland to steep(er) country. I'd call my maximum intended range right at 700+/- yds today.

Lawton 7500 action
Broughton #5 contour barrel 1 in 9 twist finished at 24-26 inches. Probably start with 168 grain Bergers
Holland Recoil Lug Seems to be a good choice...any input?
H-S Precision detachable box bottom metal (I didn't want the mag box to drop well below the stock and it appears this product will address that preference)
Timney trigger

And the rifle stock...that's probably the spot I'm most stuck. I'm a lefty and options become immediatley more limited. I've considered an H-S Precision Sporter 2000 series as it fits my price point better but I'd prefer a more vertical grip on the stock. If H-S made a Sendero stock in left hand long-action or Greybull Precision made a long-action lefty I'd probaby be sold with either option. Having said all this what are your thoughts? I have looked at Manners Stocks as they appear to be a bit less expensive than McMillan which are out of my price range. So, would you suggest a Manners MCS-T or a T2? I'm open to either at this point but wonder about functionality as I've never actually held one. Any input about what I've mentioned or original input is more than welcome.

Please let me know if I've missed anything or should be considering anything additional.

Thanks,

JR

I'm a lefty too so I feel your pain.....

I believe Manners is bringing out some new hunting stocks, I read about them on another forum. One looked like it was interesting as it is available LH and appeared to be geared towatd LRH with high comb.

Aren't Manners almost as spendy as McMillan?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.