First reloader setup to last

I loaded shotgun shells for years, when I decided to start loading for rifles I looked around on the local for sale forums. I found a RCBS Rockchucker with a ton of extra stuff cheap. I'm still loading with it several years later, I have added a couple things along the way, but the core is the stuff that came with the press.

It may be a rabbit hole, but it sure is great hole to jump in. I started late in the game. I just got fed up with the inconsistency of factory ammo and had more time to jump in once I retired. My view is it is never too late to start. There were several things I would have done differently with clear hindsight, but none of them were really big problems. I think half the fun of reloading is the excitement of finding a new component or tool to try out. I could have made adequate ammo to harvest a deer or punch a decent group on paper with my first box of Sierra bullets, Lee dies, Win primers, and IMR powder. However, where is the wow factor in that? Sometimes the scavenger hunt for hard to find components, etc., makes you appreciate it more once you find it.

It may be a rabbit hole, but it sure is great hole to jump in. I started late in the game. I just got fed up with the inconsistency of factory ammo and had more time to jump in once I retired. My view is it is never too late to start. There were several things I would have done differently with clear hindsight, but none of them were really big problems. I think half the fun of reloading is the excitement of finding a new component or tool to try out. I could have made adequate ammo to harvest a deer or punch a decent group on paper with my first box of Sierra bullets, Lee dies, Win primers, and IMR powder. However, where is the wow factor in that? Sometimes the scavenger hunt for hard to find components, etc., makes you appreciate it more once you find it.
I haven't seen any rabbits in the hole I went down. But I did see one p!$$ed off badger. Everyone has a different idea about where to start and none are wrong. Your loading will change with your expectations as you shoot.

My first kit was the rock chucker supreme from cabelas 15 years ago. I bought a triple beam just to check the electronic scale and never looked back. Recently I purchased a Dillon 650 to speed up handgun and small rifle loads. Still use the rock chucker for all my singles and it's never failed! As mentioned, Redding dies are great. Rcbs work good too. Dillion also makes a really nice carbide die set! Good luck and have fun!!!

I haven't seen any rabbits in the hole I went down. But I did see one p!$$ed off badger. Everyone has a different idea about where to start and none are wrong. Your loading will change with your expectations as you shoot.
You haven't? It's deep too. That for sure changing how you reload. equipment is upgraded, and more costs are encurred. You can get and easy $10,000.00 before long if your pockets are deep enough. Oh! There goes that deep again. 🤣 🤣. To me it's fun to work on reloads to create that perfect load. You'll need a chronograph too. Danm that hole!🤣
All in fun!

My suggestions might help….makes good ammo

PRESS: MEC single stage

POWDER MEASURING: TRX-925 Scale, Hornady powder measure, little dandy vibrating trickler. Check weight. You have to know it is working.

DIES: Forster die set with micrometer seater(if you like) Hornady for a cheaper option.

TUMBLER: Any corn cob type

PRIMING TOOL: Primal Rights CPS or RCBS Bench priming tool on the cheap

CASE PREP: Lyman, Frankford Arsenal, etc. Dont cut primer pockets. Use the RCBS brush

CASE TRIMMER: Wilson works great until you want to do 1000:s.

LUBRICANT: Case wax…Creedmoor Sports

FUNNEL: Satern

CALIPERS: Igaging or other digital. Get a 1" gage block. Regardless of cost, you have to know they can measure 1" as 1"

ANNEALER: Annealeez works, but there are better controlled gas Annealers now. AMP…not worth it.

CHRONEY: Labradar

COMPARATOR: Sinclair bullet and shoulder gages

OAL GAGE: Dont waste your time.

CONCENTRICITY TOOL: 21st Century or AccuracyOne

SOFTWARE: Quickload is probably worth it if doing any non:SAAMI loading.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Listened to the Hornady podcast episodes 37 and 61 on reloading and reloading kits. Good info for a beginner especially, talks about some of the steps they have done in the past for benchrest or precision ammo loading they don't find necessary for PRS.

Joseph von Benedikt's podcast on reloading for the backcountry was also good though more of a review of what you need and why and less of details on how to reload.

Plan to pick up a hard copy reloading manual today that I don't have a digital copy of and read through another section on reloading.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Listened to the Hornady podcast episodes 37 and 61 on reloading and reloading kits. Good info for a beginner especially, talks about some of the steps they have done in the past for benchrest or precision ammo loading they don't find necessary for PRS.

Joseph von Benedikt's podcast on reloading for the backcountry was also good though more of a review of what you need and why and less of details on how to reload.

Plan to pick up a hard copy reloading manual today that I don't have a digital copy of and read through another section on reloading.
Best to do a lot of reading before going forward. May save some money at the same time. To you its a whole new world out there. There is lot to it. Keep us posted, and ask question. You are sure to get a lot of answers. 🤣