First post...

Mike T

... on a great site I discovered while searching for info on the 7 RUM; a friend recently bought one and has asked me to load ammo for him. Anyway, I'm a long time "gun nut", having been hooked at a young age by a neighbor who used to let me shoot his S&W M27 with wax bullets in his garage. I compete in NRA long range, Palma, and smallbore prone. I load and shoot about 3k rounds a year, mostly 6BR Improved and .308 Palma loads. While I consider myself a fair hand at loading ammo for paper 10's and x's at a thousand yards, I don't know a whole lot about loading ammo for puttin' meat on the table and look forward to learning from those who do.

Regards,
Mike T.

If you can hit the x at 1000yds with your reloads, your loading is good enough for hunting too! What kind of hunting is your friend going to do with his 7RUM? Thin skinned deer, heavy skinned elk/moose/bear etc? Close range or long range?

The search utility on this site is excellent and you will probably find everything you need right there, but feel free to ask. I haven't seen anyone hollered at on this site for not using the search (like you see so often on other sites).

Welcome and enjoy!

AJ

AJ and Len,
Thanks for the welcome ! This site and all the contributors are a wealth of information; I look forward to evening reading in the archives.
My hunting friend recently had an opportunity to drop a deer at just over 500 yards with a 7STW and now he's hooked on long range hunting. Richard has about 50 years of hunting experience, and until his new 700 n 7RUM showed up, he used a Winchester M54 Carbine in .30 Gov't '06, and occasionally a Rem M7 in .260.
I've already prepped a couple boxes of brass to round out the three boxes of factory ($$$) ammo he bought, and will probably start with some 140 grain bullets as that is what he used on his 600 yard deer. I'm thinking with the RUM's case capacity, a 140 is kinda light and may up the bullet weight depending on what Richard is hunting.
Anyway, I appreciate this forum as a great resource and hope I can something of value from time to time.

Regards,
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.