First Post

dtt0862

Took up reloading recently. Enjoy hunting & shooting, rifles and archery. Have enjoyed reading post on this sight. Have a question for the reloaders on this site. Have two 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. Recently found that fully resized brass fired one time from one rifle will not chamber in the other one after being reloaded. Pretty sure I don't have die set up correctly. How do I adjust it to get it back to spec? The brass chambers and shoots well from the gun it was originally fired from.

Took up reloading recently. Enjoy hunting & shooting, rifles and archery. Have enjoyed reading post on this sight. Have a question for the reloaders on this site. Have two 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. Recently found that fully resized brass fired one time from one rifle will not chamber in the other one after being reloaded. Pretty sure I don't have die set up correctly. How do I adjust it to get it back to spec? The brass chambers and shoots well from the gun it was originally fired from.
What gun is it? Your bullet mite be to long, and is going onto the lands. Or your gun could be dirty.

You seem to have it set up well for the rifle it came out of so why not keep the brass separate? It will last longer the less you work the brass. You can adjust the die or you can order the redding shell holder kit that moves the case closer by way of different thicknesses. Once you determine which one moves the reluctant case to the proper dimension you would have an esy way to size brass for each rifle with the minimum required brass movement
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/5...H5sliOVOGMYfLBnwxQ_RSKmyQxJ7K4aBoC4bMQAvD_BwE

You seem to have it set up well for the rifle it came out of so why not keep the brass separate? It will last longer the less you work the brass. You can adjust the die or you can order the redding shell holder kit that moves the case closer by way of different thicknesses. Once you determine which one moves the reluctant case to the proper dimension you would have an esy way to size brass for each rifle with the minimum required brass movement
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/525874/redding-competition-shellholder-set-1-308-winchester-30-06-springfield-45-acp?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Reloading+-+Dies+&+Shellholders&utm_content=525874&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Dies+&+Shellholders-_-Redding-_-525874&gclid=CjwKCAiAsoviBRAoEiwATm8OYDVaafbstRwsd1k0yBm1IdH5sliOVOGMYfLBnwxQ_RSKmyQxJ7K4aBoC4bMQAvD_BwE

Both guns are clean, new brass with same bullets seated same depth chamber just fine. Do you know if the suggested kit will work with Hornady dies?

one way to keep loadings separate and you will want to keep them separate , is choosing a separate bullet ( tip ) for each one so you will know just by looking which one fits that particular gun just by looking

take one that you have full sized (no bullet, no primer) , and soot the top half try to close in action , remove without letting it hit the floor and read where it hitting soot is missing

if it closes in the action without a bullet , then try to do same thing with a dummy round bullet in it (( no powder or prime )) , if you cant close in the action with the dummy round , remove without letting it bounce off the wall and read where its hitting soot is missing

if you can take pictures , it'll say alot

Last edited:
Beginning to think keeping casings separate is best way to go. May challenge my organizational skills, especially since I also load for my sons 6.5.

Both guns are clean, new brass with same bullets seated same depth chamber just fine. Do you know if the suggested kit will work with Hornady dies?
Yes they work with Hornady. I use them with RCBS dies in the creed, 270 win, 06 and 243.
Keeping brass separate would be the best option. I use the cardboard trays used for selling strawberries to achieve this. You can use a sharpie to mark the rifle they belong to. I don't sell strawberries any more so I have enough for awhile. They don't deteriorate so it works for me

Beginning to think keeping casings separate is best way to go. May challenge my organizational skills, especially since I also load for my sons 6.5.

teaching your son the severity that his specific rounds belong to his specific rifle would be a high priority OR you to keep him safe, will have to reload both to a level and size that is safe for both

another way to keep them separate, is choosing a separate headstamp for each rifle ...

if you bulk load to fit all , accuracy may not be there for one rifle
if you separate, both 6.5 can be as accurate as the rifle is capable

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.