First post. 6.5x284 ladder test problem

Shot placement goes for a lot. I've seen videos of 6.5-284 killing elk at 1300 plus yards. No a lot of energy out there, placement is key. Same goes for a bow. I've seen pass thrus on caribou at 70 yards.

I see. Forgive my misunderstanding! I watched a few elk bow hunting videos on YouTube. Looks exciting!! I can see the appeal of getting so close. What kind of accuracy do you get with a bow at 50 yards? Are you allowed good arrow heads? Cross bladed types?
On my ladder test at 500 I got virtually no vertical spread with my last 3 loads so gonna try different seating depths there. Was hoping to be out Sunday but its forecast wind and maybe snow. My garden is sheltered so might be best to test there. Can only manage 100 yards tho.

LOL, I didn't shoot 25. In fact I did not shoot any elk last year. I shot a very large bodied bull the year before and had tons of meat left. Therefore I was being very picky and had a couple of large 360-380 class bulls I was chasing around.

Archery is extremely leathal. It is not uncommon for my 73 lb draw weight bow to fling a 460 grain arrow completely through an elk. I have dropped them in their tracks and had them run off 300-400 yards and DOA. The one thing I do know, hit them correctly and they are dead in a short period of time.

Yeah if you are not getting a change in FPS you are done. Back it down and look for accuracy. With a 30" barrel I would be looking at the slower burn powders personally. H1000, retumbo, etc. Give it a shot, might be worth the effort.

Hey Brent, didn't realize you were a longbow shooter. I was an avid stick bow shooter for for more than 30 years until I tore a muscle in my arm. Still do some shooting with light bows. I have a good collection of stickbows, mostly Bears and Howard Hills including the Green Dragon, made by Howard Hill himself in the 50's. It's in perfect shape. Shot a cottontail with it at 47 yards a few years ago, then hung it back up. Sorry for diverting the thread.

Hey Brent, didn't realize you were a longbow shooter. I was an avid stick bow shooter for for more than 30 years until I tore a muscle in my arm. Still do some shooting with light bows. I have a good collection of stickbows, mostly Bears and Howard Hills including the Green Dragon, made by Howard Hill himself in the 50's. It's in perfect shape. Shot a cottontail with it at 47 yards a few years ago, then hung it back up. Sorry for diverting the thread.

Sweet bows dude!! I love long bows. Sticking that coyote with longbow this yr was my career hunting highlight.

I'll look. See if I can find them

On a quick look I couldn't find one of the videos. The other I actually have on tape here at the house. I reviewed it and he does not say what the caliber is but it looks like a 6.5-284 that he uses a lot. So I cannot confirm that it actually was. So my bad on that. I will look for the other one some more cuz I'm sure he states the caliber in it.

In the vid section there is bull taken with one a 985 yards I believe. YouTube has another a guy took a cow with 120 Barnes at 900. 3 shots, nice grouping, complete pass through for each bullet.

In the vid section there is bull taken with one a 985 yards I believe. YouTube has another a guy took a cow with 120 Barnes at 900. 3 shots, nice grouping, complete pass through for each bullet.
Ya i saw those two vids.

I'd like to know what load you ended up with too. Haven't shot mine lately. Too much going on. I think mine was just severely copper fouled. Bought some Bore Tech cleaner and was amazed at what came out of the barrel. This was after a thorough cleaning with other solvents. Ill try to shoot it again this week.

My final load was berger 140 hybrids, CCI standard primer, 52.8 grains of h4831sc. Bullet length just touching the lands. Didn't try them pushed into the lands cos I want to be able to unload without the risk of removing the head from the case. On my ladder test 2980 fps (same load) was a good sweet spot. However the above load was running about 3075fps. I think this is the barrel bedding in and giving less resistance. Gonna try reducing my load back to 2980fps. Might even tighten my group up further!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.