First Mule Deer and Long range kill

rick523

Well the age old adage practice makes perfect, rang true for me after practicing tweaking my reloads and practicing some more it all paid off. we got to Wy. on the 12th spent two days scouting and started hunting on the 15th. I was in the same general area as Len and his group actually was going to meet up with Len on on the 14th. but I was already 4mi. West of the trail head sitting on a ridge watching some elk by noon sorry Len.

We saw several good bucks the first couple of days but they were about a mile or more from where we were. I decided to go after them, after watching them for the second day but that was a bust. Did manage to jump two but no shot. Saw a few small bucks, spikes an forkies that were close 15-20yds. not exactly what I was looking for. We had 3 pretty good Bulls within 25yds of us, I videoed these with my phone, may try to post those videos sometime,again not what I was looking for. On Friday the 20th we tried to get closer to the bucks we had been seeing so got to their area before daylight, but they never showed.

So we went back to the area we had been glassing from all week. No sooner got there and got my rifle out of pack and took a look at the opposite side of the canyon and spotted a buck standing in the shade. i decided he was a fairly decent deer and figured why not. Got a range on him 813 put all my dope into shooter, got behind the gun, **** he starts walking off. When he came to a stop again got another range on him, 803 this time at least he got closer:D, came down 1 click asked my partner if he was on him? "Send it" says he I did. I saw the buck flinch, I asked if he could tell where I hit him he said "you shot over him" I'm thinkin no way took a quick range just to verify by the time I was back on him he walked about 5 yds into a small group of trees.

Now I'm really confused my Buddy says I shot over him and yet I saw him flinch and of course I'm convinced I hit him and my Buddy swears I shot over him since he basically just stood there, before walking off. Well I watched those trees for three long hours and that deer never came out. I told Hank I'm going over there I know I hit him, but before we did I found a rock just under half moa in size at 792 yds I told Hank to watch to see if deer comes out when I shoot took one shoot hit rock on left edge took second shot and **** near laid it on top of first so now I'm convinced I hit the buck and Hank is having doubts now. And the deer never ran out. So we pack up all our gear and head over to where we last saw him. Hank still not sure says he will wait at base of hill with packs while I go look.

I don't think he was up for the climb, It took me about 15min. to get to the area where I last saw him and about 5 mins to find him laying there dead. took a pic with cell phone to convince partner I indeed hit him. Then the work began, after getting him boned bagged,and loaded the real work began:rolleyes:. Did I mention we were 4mi. in on foot. Like I said there is no substitute for practice. Before I post a couple of the obligatory hero pic I want to say thanks to one guy on this forum who I feel is 50% responsible for my successful shot, that guy is Broz who answered dozens of PM's from me and gave me advice, and suggestions on what to do. Thanks Jeff.

And now the pics, oh yeah the shoot went in just behind the last rib and lodged in the off side shoulder it was a 168 vld @ 2985fps. 7 RM before anyone ask:D. The one thing though is the deer's reaction just standing there. Had I not seen the flinch after the shot I would have thought I missed also. I have killed enough whitetails to know no two act the same. Before anyone ask no I didn't take pictures of the shot but it did turn his insides to jell-o. Wy. 2013 009.jpg

Wy. 2013 013.jpg For a 64 year old flatlander I thought I did pretty good on the pack out made the 4mi. in an hour and fifty mins. Thanks for looking.
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for all the comments, I don't think we are always looking for the long shot. It is nice knowing your capable when the opportunity arises though.:D

Great story and great buck!

This will be my first year trying the long range thing as well. I have gotten a ton of info from this site, and I have leaned on Broz and several others as you did. It's nice to hear it payed off for you!

I'm excited to give it a go myself, but I have to wait until mid-November here in Nebraska. Hopefully I can post a success story of my own!

Again, great work!

Good write up. Great Buck. Age-wise, I'm chasing you on the downhill side, so thanks for giving me hope. Have you noticed how the mountains get taller the older you get?

Great story and great buck!

This will be my first year trying the long range thing as well. I have gotten a ton of info from this site, and I have leaned on Broz and several others as you did. It's nice to hear it payed off for you!

I'm excited to give it a go myself, but I have to wait until mid-November here in Nebraska. Hopefully I can post a success story of my own!

Again, great work!
Thanks, and good luck on your upcoming hunt. Let us know how it turns out.

Good write up. Great Buck. Age-wise, I'm chasing you on the downhill side, so thanks for giving me hope. Have you noticed how the mountains get taller the older you get?
No kidding, we passed a lot of guys hunting on horse back everyday but that one. I would have paid a bunch of $$ for the use of a horse just then. I did prove to myself there was still some juice in the old bones, ouch!:)

Nice !!! Great Buck and my hat off to you on the pack out. I will be 55 in a few weeks, I hope I can still pack em like that in 10 yrs. Great story as well. It looks to me like you have that rifle dialed in and ready to fill a freezer. Way to go. gun)

Jeff

I just want to say great job all the way. Obviously a great job on the shot and catching the hit signs and finding your deer, but also a great job on telling the story to us. I love the in depth detailed hunting stories much better than " here's the pic, shot him at x yards with this gun".

Thanks for sharing

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.