First Medium Range Gun: 308 Win, or 300 WSM

Consider a Savage.

And they are alot cheaper than the major brands. I just picked up a Savage 300 RUM for only $350. I don't think there's any debate, they are the best value.

Re: Consider a Savage.

I agree. My 300WM does half moa or better past 800. You might even consider getting a savage in 300wsm, and a barrel in 308. You could have a 300 WSM savage, a 308 bolt, and a 308 barrel to do your high volume practice with for less than $100 more than the remington, and have a better trigger, and stock out of the box. (unless you get the synthetic stock... they are a bit flemsy, but still shoot.)
$800 Remington with crappy trigger...
$500 Savage with great trigger thats more accurate....
tough decision....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Remington 700P LTR looks cool too...

Some say its good to 800 yards, but at 1000 the standard length barrel is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guppy
Interesting! Can you tell me why a standard barrel would shoot farther? I thought that a long heavey barrel would not only be more accurate but shoot farther as well since they are used for sniping and long range shooting etc.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think someone has miss understood or maybe I have but the Model 700P LTR (Light Tactical Rifle), Has a fluted 20" heavy contoured barrel while the 700P, Has a solid 26" heavy contoured barrel. Each only come in one lenght.

Also the neither come pillar beded but they are both set on a an aircraft-grade aluminum bedding block that runs up the entire length of the receiver one would think this to be better than just pillars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Coyote is a nice little rig, but i would go with a remington simply for when you decide to go custom youll have more options open to you. a 700 police would be nice sure, the new Rem 700 VSFII , with HS stock ( stock has new design in palm swell?), 26" fluted barrel.. appears to be a winner, the price on the other hand, might be a little high.. gander mtn will be selling them for 905, from accu-sport, 17% margain. i guess its a toss up, for 7-750 you can have a new 700 police, and resale value is great.. just my 7cents

of course you need to spend at least double on your scope,lol

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.