First Medium Range Gun: 308 Win, or 300 WSM

Guppy

Hello All,

I'm been reading all the very interesting posts, and have decided I need a new gun. I'd like to start out with a factory rifle and probably won't shoot past 300 yards. Generally, I like Remingtons, but I think I'd like to give the Winchester M70 Coyote a try and put a Leupold 3.5x10x50 on it. Only I can't decide if the 308 Win or the 300 WSM would be best.

I have a 45-70 that I shoot occasionally, and can handle the 420 grain bullets at 1650 fps OK, but then it starts to hurt with higher loads. So that's probably the most recoil I'd like to see.

I know the .308 is probably what I should get. Deer and wild hogs are my primary targets, but maybe someday I'll go elk hunting. But part of me wants to try this new 300 WSM, but the heavier recoil in this factory rifle makes me hesitate. I do need to practice, so I'd like something I can shoot quite a bit.

Any suggestions appreciated...

"I do need to practice, so I'd like something I can shoot quite a bit"

That says it in a nutshell. The 308 will be a bunch cheaper to shoot and there are by far more loads to choose from. Also with the right bullet and right placement the 308 will do the job on elk inside of 300 yds.
Chris

P.S. welcome aboard

I second that. I have a 300 RSAUM and at some point want to convert it to the 300WSM with all the fixens but because of the reasons you just stated i just got a new 700 LTR in a 308 this past saturday. Ammo a lot cheeper if your not reloading and a much larger selection of ammo on retailers shelf and recoil much less. get the 308 practice till ya puke then have fun with the 300's if you still want more. I just did it backwards but ended up with both. will most likely use the 308 a lot more than the 300. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Either way have fun with it.

Thanks for the advice,

I'm really leaning towards the 308. One of my reasons for being so interested in the Winchester Coyote is that it is available with a stainless barrell and I like the look of a laminated stock. I currently have a Remington .223 varmint with synthetic stock, and it shoots very well. But Remington has so few choices to pick from these days.

If Remington had their Varmint gun in .308 with a Stainless barrel, laminated stock, and a 22" or 24" barrell, my search would be over. My .223 has the 26" barrell, and I'd really like something shorter.

For a hunting gun, is stainless really that important? If not, then the available Remington VLS in .308 (blued barrel) may be what I should get.

The Winchester Stealth is only available in blued too I think, but has the composite stock. Are laminated wood stocks really that bad compared to the synthetic stocks?

thanks

Hey all,

I just picked up a Tikka Varmint Stainless in .308 via Guns America classifieds (75 rounds through the gun) from a private individual. Had it delivered to the local shop in Virginia. After reading a bunch of posts on what caliber to start shooting (other than my bow) I settled on the .308 (second choice was 30-06). Will be hunting elk, goats, lopes, whistle-pig and deer in VA, Michigan and out west with my Dad so this looks like a great all-around rifle for me.

I was trying to figure out which scope to put on it--was looking at Bushnell Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch in the 3-14x mag range. Dealer said he couldn't match internet prices on those models, but he had a VariX-III duplex in 4-14X50 he'd let me have for $300. This is a deal yes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Great forum, tons of experience I hopefully soak up as I go.

Thanks, Matt

Winchester stealth is kevlar/glass varmint target stock and comes pillar bedded with 26" heavy target barrel. Adjust trigger, check lugs and go to shooting. CM barrel will last 1000's of rounds, so would not worry.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=027&cat=001C

Coyote barrel is shorter at 24" and thinner (med hvy), no pillar bedding and needs same treatment for lugs. Stock is varmint. Got a 300 WSM coyote and not as good LR gun as stealth in my opinion.

go to the above winchester site and look at both. Stealth is better gun I think.

BH

BountyHunter,

I looked at the Stealth and the Coyote at lunch today. The Stealth had one heck of a barrel on it. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in .308 .

Do you have an opinion on the Remington 700P versus the Winchester Stealth? Seems the Stealth is the heavier gun at 10.0 lbs (vs. 9lb for Remington).

By the way, what is a CM barrel? Is the Remington 700P pillar bedded?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

CM is chrome moly (ie blued) vs. stainless steel.

700 is not pillared.

go on the net and find a stealth on one of the auction sites. Contact Ed at Eds gunshop in NC (910) 692-7936. He sells about 40-50k of guns a year and is volume dealer. He can find you one for sure if he does not have it on the shelf.

BH

[ QUOTE ]
The Remington 700P LTR looks cool too...

Some say its good to 800 yards, but at 1000 the standard length barrel is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guppy
Interesting! Can you tell me why a standard barrel would shoot farther? I thought that a long heavey barrel would not only be more accurate but shoot farther as well since they are used for sniping and long range shooting etc.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The Remington 700P LTR has a 20" fluted barrel with a narrowed stock and weighs only 7 1/2 lbs. The standard 700P has a 26" non-fluted barrel, wider stock, and weighs 9 lbs.

There seems to be about a 150 fps velocity loss between the two barrels. But I've seen a lot of good recommendations for the LTR. Some prefer the longer barrel for shooting over 800 yds.

Here's an awesome website on the LTR

http://home.comcast.net/~davidawilson/LongRange/LR_Frame.htm

Consider a Savage. You won't find a more accurate factory rifle. My first three five-shot groups all measured 0.5" out of my 10FP (shooting handloads).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.