First long range test with the 338 Allen Mag....

Buffalobob,

Ya know what they say about the sun shining on a dogs butt every once in a while. I was just hoping to connect on steel but your right, with my luck, I am suprised every one of those shots did not center in a hole!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

JKO,

I believe its 3/8" T1 plate.

The big holes were pieces I cut out with an tourch to make some improvised parts for the tractor until new parts were available. I will tourch off that section here soon and make a hanger for the plate, get some real good GOOONGGGGs then!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

ss7mm,

If I had put four shots as close as those two were I would never have posted the pics or even commented. To be honest, I would probably still be up on the hill staring at the plate in disbelief!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will take two on top of each other and a total group of 7.5" any day. I know for a fact I can not shoot well enough to average that everytime I go out. I am sure the rifle probably could but not me!!

Take them when I can get them!!!

Now onto 10" 2000 yard groups. Fun stuff. I think you need a big 338 AM don;t you???!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Steve,

To me, posting video would be like raising the dead, have no clue where to even start with that project. The video is not that great. Had the camera on high digital zoom and the picture quality is not that great. You can still see the bullet strikes and hear the impacts though.

Next set up will be at 2000 yards if I can get into the right area and then hopefully I will get some better video. Well, I hope to hit the steel more then anything!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Roygeterdone,

Yes, everyone needs a 150gr powder capacity 338 magnum!!! Just nothing quite like it short of a 50 cal but trajectory wise even they do not compare.

To be zeroed at +.5" at 100 yards and only need 27 moas to be dead on at 1500 yards is pretty sweet for sure. I would agree whole heartedly!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I remember well when i first started this project, about four years ago some of the "nay sayers" telling me the 338-408imp would not work. I guessed the 300gr bullet would be around 3500fps, they all laughed! Well, looks like we have proven them wrong! Eh" Kirby. Its some sweet fun touching off one of these bad boys!!!!!! Everyone needs to at least shoot one, if not own one. The carry rifle is a neat gun in its own right, i havent shot a heavy bench gun in this cal, but i will tell you, you got a big engine with all kinds of horse power at your finger tips in a 15# rifle. Super Fun Stuff!!!!

Dave

Fifty, this question is off topic, but I need to know if you can build a 270 Allen Mag on a BAT 8.5" action. I would like to know, because I already have one. Also, how long and large of a barrel can I hang off of this action. I was thinking of a Krieger 30" 1.450 Straight Taper. All I would need to do is order the barrel and send you the parts.

Thanks
Wildact

I am glad to see that the bullets maid it to almost 1500 yards I have herd of 300g SMK coming apart at 3350 fps.
Crow Mag

Kirby

Wow things are looking good glad all the testing is going well you are defiantly making my job easer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif The critters around here are going to have it tough with a gun like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The hard part is the waiting how long before parts start arriving? The bat has to be four or five months out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Larry

I'm so glad BD 408 feels this way, so which one of you is gonna send me a "big ole 338" and a couple hundred rounds of ammo so I can shoot it. Kirby has my shipping addy, so guess I'll send it to BD so they can decide what caliber I'll get. LMAO, I really envy you guys, heck it takes a dr, and a lawyer, a court order, a miracle, and a couple other things to make 1K here in the east. guess I need to rent a room out there
JS
JS

[ QUOTE ]
Just kidding on the 300 Win Mag thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
****, don't do that to me! Nearly had a heart attack! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kirby,
Awesome,cant wait to see what happens at 2000yds plus.
you do need some better GONG steel though, some AR500 or Hardox500 let me know if you want me to ship you one.
UB

BD408,

Well now we need to reverse things, you need to build yourself a heavy and I need to build my lightweight!!

Yes, they are fun to shoot.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.