First long range rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by jsolomon, Jul 27, 2011.

1. jsolomon

jsolomon Member

Hey guys I'm new to this whole forum thing and I've shot semi pro nfaa archery tourney's for the last 6 years so excuse my ignorance in advance.

I'm looking to build/buy a decent .308 caliber mid range (650-800 yards) gun. It is gonna be primarily a paper gun, but I might shoot a few deer and varmints with it.

Unfortunately money is a object, so I would like to keep it as close to the $1000 mark as possible (with optics). Seeings I manage a sporting goods store I get things at cost.

I know its a far cry to having a good shooter but I just wanna start out small to see if I like it.

I've looked at all of the 700 tactical stuff, and just recently seen the Howa Axiom. I've heard good things about savage, but I would like some opinions on what ya'll like as for as action/stock combo's or just out ready to buy guns.

I would also like opinions on optics for around $250-$350.

Heresay is appriciated but experiece would be nice.
    THANKS TO ALL IN ADVANCE!!!gun)

2. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

I would build up.a rifle using a savage action.
    Check out the article on building a long range rifle on a budget by Jerry Teo.
    Contact Sinman and he will put a great barrel on an action and you can put it in a bell and carlson medalst stock.
    All for $1000 or less

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

3. jsolomon

jsolomon Member

Thanks alot Rock, do you kno where I can find the article?

4. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

5. Camshaft

Camshaft Well-Known Member

Look into the Stevens model 200. It is a savage made rifle just marked under the Stevens Name. It can be had for around $300 dollars I believe. Not sure what the caliber selection is. As far as optics, go to Swfa.com and look at the SS line of tactical Scopes. I believe the are the absolute best bang for your Buck until you get up into the $800 plus level.

6. BikerRN

BikerRN Member

I'd look hard at the Savage line if it were me.

I went with a Ruger due to them maqking their own barrels now and the reports I've been getting regarding their accuracy. I'm very happy with my Ruger but if I hadn't gone with the Ruger I'm 90% certain I would've chosen a Savage.

Biker

7. jsolomon

jsolomon Member

Not a fan of ruger actions myself, which 1 do u have though? And how do you like it?

8. BikerRN

BikerRN Member

I have a Gunsite Scout and like it very much. I'm partial to Ruger and Winchester Bolt Actions.

Biker

9. jsolomon

jsolomon Member

How far have you managed 2 get with it, and what did the groups look like?

10. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member