First long range Rifle

HellBentSoilder

Hello everyone,

I have hunted with a 30-30 and 30-06 for a long time however I suffered a cervical injury a while back and I can no longer use my 30-06 without issues. So I am really considering a 6.5x284 rifle. I have found a savage long range hunter in this caliber for near $900 however with that price tag I am wondering if I should look into piecing a rifle together and perhaps have higher quality parts (not really fond of the accustock that it had on it). I have not looked into what glass to put on the rifle as I figure I should lock down the rifle first and then begin looking into glass under the $400 price point (I've always used iron sites and was a closer combat person while in military so Glass is going to be a diff headache lol)

I am just getting started into reloading as well so anyone have real world experience on loading this caliber? If so any suggestion would be great as well.

Thanks in advance

You could find an older or used Remington 700 .270 Win or .30-06 and have it trued & rebarreled and chambered to 6.5-284 and put a B&C Medalist on it, you should be around $1,250 or so in a custom rifle...Which, IMO beats any off-the-shelf gun, for just a little bit more money.

I have been told the long action is better for the 6.5-284 because you can seat the longer high-BC bullets closer to the lands and still be able to use the gun as a repeater for hunting, whereas the short-a tion you will have to shorten the COL of the loaded round to load them into the magazine, which can hinder you from being able to take full advantage of accuracy and adjustability and seating depth of the long bullets.

Just simply my opinion.

We have a lot of real fans of the savages here at LRH.

Question though, have you considered just putting a good muzzle brake on your 06?

What are your intentions for the future with this rifle? Targets or game? If game what game and at what ranges?

The 6.5-284 will certainly get the job done for you but so would a .264wm or 7Remington magnum.

Any of those with a quality brake installed and decent recoil pad will be very good to you and quite capable of taking most N. American Game to 750yds with ease.

Heck even the 300wm can be a real pussycat to shoot if you have the right set up.

Dittos to MudRunner and WildRose

If you are ready to drop $900 for a rifle I would give the same advice of a brake on the 30-06 and a decent Scope mounted on top. For $900 you might drop the action into a McMillan stock and solve your physical issues with the recoil. Would not hurt to add 3 - 4lbs to the rifle in the right places.

Working with less than$1000 I sure would look at improvements rather than new.

Thanks for the replies all. My 30-06 is a lever action browning so I was looking into a bolt action rifle or I would highly consider a barrel change and/or brake.

What is your LR goal? There are a lot of different ways to go of course but some of the obvious include what is your price point target and max range?

Right now I am seeing 1300.00 as your target? Is that correct?

Bent- te 6.5-284 is easy to load for. i would get a remington long action. and muzzle brake even on it. you do not say what you are shootng at.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.