First Long Range Rifle

Sorry, I posted to quick. .260 Remington, 6mmBR, and 6.5x47 Lapua. I think you already said that you would use 1:8 twist for the 6's. Just need to know barrel length for all three and twist for the .260. Other research I did this morning leads me to believe that the .260 would have more recoil than the 6's.

You are correct. The 260 will definetely have more recoil than the 6.5x47 and a lot more than the 6BR. But between all the ones mentioned, none are really that bad with the 6BR being the lightest. All the calibers mentioned would benefit from a 26" or longer tube, but the 260 and 6.5x47 would also do well in a shorter barrel. I think you'll see these calibers top gains in a 26-28" barrel. All calibers listed will do very well with a 1:8 twist. The exception would be the 6BR if you want to shoot 115 grain bullets. Then it would be suggested to go to a 1:7 or 1:7.5 twist. If your up for the challenge, then I would suggest going to accurateshooter.com and read up on the 6BR improved versions. The 6 Dasher has been a good caliber for 1000yd shooting.

Another option that would require very little work is the 6mm-250 Remington. It is a 22-250 Remington simply necked up to a 6mm. I've been told by a very competent gun builder on this sight that it is very efficient and easier on barrels than the 6XC or .243. To me that puts it in the 6 Dasher arena without having to fire form shoulders or anything. Just a thought.

Sorry, I posted to quick. .260 Remington, 6mmBR, and 6.5x47 Lapua. I think you already said that you would use 1:8 twist for the 6's. Just need to know barrel length for all three and twist for the .260. Other research I did this morning leads me to believe that the .260 would have more recoil than the 6's.
The recoil is negligible for either but yes, heavier bullets will give you more recoil all else being equal.

With the Lapua I'd say 1:8, with the other 6.5's 1:8.5. You can go 1:9 if you don't plan to shoot over 130gr bullets.

With any of these cases at 26" barrel is plenty, and shorter won't make much difference due to the low powder volumes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.