First Long Range Rifle

Thanks. What other Savage models interest you? What will you be shooting at with the model you purchased?

I currently have liltank' model 12 VLP in .308. I also have a model 12 FV that started life as a .308 and is now a 300 WSM with a 30" barrel that I put together. I also have two target actions that were purchased bare and one is chambered in 338 lapua with a 32" barrel that I had built by a local smith, and last is a 6.5x47 Lapua with a 28" barrel that I also built. I think they are some of the easiest rifles to work on and to get shooting good..

If you buy the 12 VLP in .308, can and how do you changed into 22-250 for example?
Follow the steps that SavageShtr and I posted on the barrel swap. It seems daunting in written words, but its not that bad. There are video's on youtube that show how to do a barrel swap on a Savage rifle.

First you would need to purchase a 22-250 barrel from what ever manufacturer you want in the contour, twist rate and length you would like. After that the 22-250 and .308 use the same bolt face and you would simply switch the barrels out as stated in an earlier post by liltank!! You would essentially have two different rifles without have the expense of buying two rifles!! You would have a varmint rifle for spring and summer and a deer rifle for the fall!! You would be able to use the same stock and optics as well I you wanted!!

Thanks guys. I'm not a hunter and I would probably shoot 22-250 most of the time to see how far out I can shoot targets. My Son is 10 and may talk me into hunting and I would want the 308 at that point. He is going to end up with a nice gun collection many years from now. He's watching "Sons Of Guns" as I type.

Jim,
That's great to hear that you want to bring your son up on shooting firearms responsibly and not scaring him away from them. Here's a suggestion that would work as a hunting rifle and a target rifle. Get the .308 in a Savage varmint or target model. If you plan to use it hunting later in life, then definitely stick with the Mod 12VLP or one of the Mod 10 rifles. Another great option would be the Mod 12 BVSS. My 9yr old has been shooting my .308's since he was 7yrs old. With a muzzle break laying prone, he could shoot full power loads. For deer season I loaded down with a 150 grain bullet. He would ding the steel off of sticks w/o any problems. The .308 with the new bullets on the market and new powders can get you to 1000yds w/o problems. I have been using the 168 Berger Hybrids. They can make the stretch with good consistency. Hope this is helpful in your decision. Another good calibers to pick from would be the 6mmbr in the target model, 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 260. The 22-250 will require some good reloading to stretch it out. All of these calibers work really well for dual purpose target and hunting applications.

If I start with the .308 VLP, what smaller round would be the best to get us out to 1,000 yards?
I would suggest the 6mmBR. It isn't a super fast wild cat or high horse power cartridge, but will give you long barrel life and light recoil. Another awesome option would be the 6.5x47 Lapua. Either caliber in a tight twist (1:8 twist) for either will allow you to shoot the heavier weight bullets will give good accuracy through the wind down range. If you choose to go with the .308, then I would suggest 168 Berger hybrid, 175-200 grain of your choice for the long stuff.

Pretty much any caliber from .25 to 7mm would get you to 1000 yards better than the 22-250.. With that said there is no perfect or best caliber out there. I would suggest you to determine what you want then look at some loading manuals and run some variables through a ballistics program to see what would be best for you.

Barrel life would be a big contributor in you decision, some calibers will burn out the throat a lot faster than others. Another would be trajectory how flat one shoots compared to another, the flatter a rifle shoots the better it should cut through the wind. Bullet selection is another thing to look at you should find the caliber that is going to yield the highest ballistic coefficient which helps with the flight of the bullet towards wind and gravity!! Also what type of bullet or manufacturer of bullets do you want to use Berger, Hornady, Sierra and so on.. All we can do is suggest what to do you are the one that has to make the daunted decision on what to do

Sorry, I posted to quick. .260 Remington, 6mmBR, and 6.5x47 Lapua. I think you already said that you would use 1:8 twist for the 6's. Just need to know barrel length for all three and twist for the .260. Other research I did this morning leads me to believe that the .260 would have more recoil than the 6's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.