First long range gun! .300RUM

Waffen

I finally got up enough money to go out and purchase my first long range rifle. I was lucky enough to find a NIB Remington 700 Sendero in .300 Ultra Mag. I threw a Harris Bipod, and a rifle basix trigger on it.

I am hoping to be able to grab a Burris 8-32x44 Black Diamond by the end of the week. I think that should do just about everyting I need it to do.

I also pickd up some H-1000 and I plan to use some spare 165 Hornady BTSP's and 155 Sierra SMK's for fodder.

Anyway, here is a picture. I know you have seen a million of them, but this one is mine, and my first real hot rod caliber.

enjoy

300UltraMag.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
I plan to use some spare 165 Hornady BTSP's and 155 Sierra SMK's for fodder

[/ QUOTE ]

Burn them up and get some 200 grain plus bullets of your choice. A muzzle brake would be a good Idea as well.

I may be a little behind the times but the Burris 8X32 X44 is a signature scope and it has a very limited elevation adjustment. IMHO it would be OK as a 1000 yds target scope where you only need limited adjustment but for hunting where you might be shooting at ranges from 100yds to beyond a 1000 yds it just does not have the adjustment capability to deliver what you need. Typically you need 25 MOA to get from 100yds to 1000yds. You can double check me by going to the Burris website and clicking on "specifications". If I am wrong I apologize up front. Your money -you should check it yourself and be happy with it.

Waffen,

May I suggest the Burris XTR scope in 6-24x50 version. Excellent optics like the black diamond but with tactical turrets and better reticle.

You are correct, I had completly forgot about that factor. I may just go ahead and opt for the black diamond as they don't make the XTR in a high magnification scope. I certainly hope that exta 6mm of scope apature will help a lot when it comes to light gathering.

Now I just need to rob a bank or save for another week to get the scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Waffen,
6-24x50 isn't enough power for you? Wow man, seems to me mirage becomes a problem past 20 power.. Good luck anyways. Have fun

heh, I like high magnification. I want to be able to see holes at 400 through the scope.

I suggest getting a different scope base, something like a Ken Farrel or Badger Ordnance. I have now seen 2 sets of rear rings for that type of mount go bad. I recently changed mine and now my brothers are distorting as well. I would hate for you to go through the frustration I went through when mine went bad.

I think we may have exact twins now. My cousin had a used Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40AO he sold to me for $300 and I really couldn't pass up the deal. I mounted the scope up, and stole a 1.5lb Rifle Basix trigger out of my 06. This gun should be ready for the range. I am taking it out today and have about 50 rounds loaded for it. Right now I am just doing load development at 100 and 200 so the bases and scope should suffice for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Here is an updated pic.

UltraMag1.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.