First long range deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Daves762, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Daves762

Daves762 Well-Known Member

Ok with the miles wearing on my legs and the days of hunt season winding down I decided to settle for this buck and get a notch on my long range rig.

I was sitting on a knoll overlooking a great basin waiting for sunset to see what wandered into range. I has had seen some heavy tracks leading into the timber.

I was in heavy gusting wind and misread the wind twice sending the bullet wide with a miss. After calming myself I waited until the wind died down a bit and sent the third round. 210 VLD did it's job and the buck slid down the snow covered mountainside into heavy timber. This was NOT good as I had seen grizzly tracks earlier that day and It was nearly dark......

867yds is what the rangefinder said.

I know he isn't a big buck but it's better than tag soup.

Attached Files:

2. lazylabs

lazylabs Well-Known Member

What part of the state were you hunting?

3. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

Nice going! Listen, I think we all need to chill on commenting on how "big" something is, myself included. You shot a really nice buck and that's what matters. Thank you for sharing!

4. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

I'll agree with Derek. Nice buck and way to go. And you are right---it's gonna taste a whole lot better than paper.................

Randy

5. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Looks like a good hunt to me and a good buck too. Glad the grizz stayed away. Thanks for sharing the story and good job.

Jeff

6. Daves762

Yes me too. You could have seen smoke comming off my knife while boning him out.

All I had was my headlamp and could only see about 20 feet.

I'm not affraid of much, but I'm completely affraid of grizzly bears in the woods at night while carrying a pack of bloody meat.....I wont lie....

7. Daves762

Southwest MT

8. long450

long450 Well-Known Member

That is a nice buck! Good shooting, even if it took a few more shots that you planned. Most hunters have no idea what it takes to make a shot like that, especially after missing it a couple of times!

9. handirifle

handirifle Active Member

I doubt ANYONE would NOT feel afraid in those conditions, congrats on the deer.

10. ntg

ntg Well-Known Member

I think he's a great buck! I think the younger ones I've taken eat better (no I'm not a fan of antler soup, although it's better than tag soup!!!).

Thanks for sharing.