First-Hit Ballistic Software!

Bremmer

With the Great success of Exbal Ballistic Software and the disappointing results from some of the others. I was excited to see a new-commer on the block. They are First-Hit (www.first-hit.com). HOWEVER, I was disappointed to find out that they are just a wolf in sheep's clothing and are the re-named Horus Vision Company, the makers of the Atrag software package. I wonder why they've changed their name

With perry-systems Exbal and a plain jane palm III ($25 Ebay) I have yet to find any need to look further for ballistic programs. At first I was concerned that Leupold says that their scopes are 1/4 inch clicks, and Exbal uses 1/4 moa, but I have found that mine is actually in 1/4 moa. At least the amount of clicks the program tells me to use exactly coincides with the amount of clicks I actually need. I have used it quite some time and have tested it out to 1000 and it has yet to steer me wrong.

Hoyteman,
Even if it was 1/4" just select the IPHY and it will work with a scope set up that way.

Bremmer,
I don't see what you are complaining about. I ran the numbers in Exbal and the HV. They come out within less than .1 of a mil.

clg9mm,

I must have an older version "version 2" as under Sight Adjust options all that is available is 1 MOA, 1/2 MOA, 1/4 MOA, 1/8 MOA, and Mil Dot.

I do have a selection for Reticle Holdover Values of IPHY but I never use them. I like leaving the palm left on the Target Data screen and then when distance has been ranged, click it on, enter the yardage and hit Calculate. Takes about 6 seconds.

It should be under the sight adjustment options. You set it up for that particular gun and go. I have version 3.3

clg9mm,
No complaints here, (have heard some from others) but no, i was only wondering why they changed their name from horus vision atrag, to first hit? did they sell the company or something? BTY, .1 mil equals .36" sometimes a click can make a difference - One more thing mate, now that youv'e got me thinking, the Horus Software has apparently had quite a few upgrades since the first release, is that right? That alone makes me feel a little uncomfortable about having it as part of my kit. If I am going to be using software, it might as well be the best, and from what others down here have to say, that would be Exbal.

[ 07-12-2004: Message edited by: Bremmer ]

[ 07-12-2004: Message edited by: Bremmer ]

I think Exbal is the single greatest resource for LR shooting available-- although i've got a 906 yd. coyote with an XP 6.5-284 pistol that didn't like it.

That's not good enough for long range work. Scopes change by the increments you have given "in theory". If I find out a scope changes by .271, I need to be able to enter that. You can't claim 'Long Range capability" without it.

No doubt that's true-- but i'm not going out as far as u guys are, that's for sure. Are u using any ballistic program that provides that kind of flexibilty.
U know u ought to call the guy-- he's very open-minded about any changes to the program that'll help-- i called him awhile back, and asked him to put the Handgun Burris Ball. Plex subtensions into the program and a wekk later he sent me an update. I think if he had some collaboration from some of u guys here his program couldn't be beat. Contact is at www.perry-systems.com

[ 07-18-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Exbal works great.i have only one thing im not so sure it works with.that is a head wind or tail wind wind.i know they move the bullet very little but they do move it some.the Exbal shows no change at all even with strong head wind or tail winds.when the program first came out it did not do up or down hill changes and now it does.i used the program to make a first round hit on a rock about the size of a beded down deer at 785 yards.my zero was 190 yards the program gave me the rest.i also was shooting up hill so i used the ACI it was up hill enough that the range had to be set at 770 to make the shot,thanks,keith

i forgot to say the 785 yards was done standing up over the top of my car with gun resting on a pack.no sand bags or benchrest.i have the stuff for the shot just was to lazy to drag it all out and it looked like rain any time,thanks,keith

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.