First Head Shot @ 325 yards

7mmRemMag

I got my first Head shot at 325yards with my 270wsm. Its a remington model 7. Didnt expect much from it because of the short barrel. But i worked up some loads for It and 150gr. Nosler Balistic Tip, slapped a Nikon 3-9x40 with the BDC Reticle and it works like a beauty. I have already killed at all but 500 yards with it.

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Heres the link to the video for those who wanna check it out.

YouTube - HeadShot 325Yards 270wsm.m4v

Sucks when you see them running around without a jaw...... then you find them dead cause they starved to death.
Was a good shot though.

Last edited:
That doe should taste pretty good and you should be elated that you made the shot.

As the years go on you'll get even more proficient and greater and greater distances. Keep us posted.

"Guessing its about a 300 yd head shot?" This statement on the video swings the scale balance way over to the "just lucky" from the more high probability shot.

Nice shot! I have thought about that shot before and have never got the nerve up to try it yet. I can shoot 1" groups all day long at the range but I tense up every time I get a chance at a head shot. I should have shot a cow elk in the head at 90 yards last year but couldn't steady myself good enough.

And for the guy above Roy: This is not an ethics site.

Sucks when you see them running around without a jaw...... then you find them dead cause they starved to death.

Sucks to see them hobbling around from a shoulder shot also!!! Arguing the head shot is of no value, it has been flogged to death.

Anyway, we call that the pink mist. :cool: Did you say what bullets you're running out of that 270 WSM?

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the video.

Last edited:
Nice shooting! I have made a couple of memorable head shots. Not at that distance however. Three years ago I had an antlerless tag and popped a fat doe at about 120yds in the back of the head with my 7-30 Waters, after she turned away and I had to make a choice. Works great though, she dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Tom

[/QUOTE] Anyway, we call that the pink mist. :cool: Did you say what bullets you're running out of that 270 WSM?[/QUOTE]

I worked up a load, reloader 19 and Nosler Ballistic Tip 150gr. I know there not the best that nosler makes, but my little 270wsm loves em. They run about $15 for a box of 50.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for all the comments. I actually found out that the reloads I made worked perfect with my Nikon Scope with the BDC reticle. I zeroed it at 100 yards last year. Then shot at the 500 yard target we had set up with the reticle that was for 500 and I was on paper.

A few weeks ago I had the oppertunity to shoot a coyote at 300 yards and put the 300 reticle and blew him away. So I decided to shoot At an animal at 400 and aimed with accordingly and killed it.

So I had all the confidence in the gun to be able to hit that doe in the head because of my previous experiences at the other distances. The gun always put the bullet right where I was Aiming. We had forgot the range finder, but my buddy has the terrain marked off really well..... that is why he was only about 25 yards off of his educated guess. There was no wind so that made the shot more doable not having to adjust windage.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Nice shooting, I use the bdc nikon reticle out to 635 with 180s in a wsm and can even get good target shots out to 725 with it. I love the reticle but wood never attempt a head shot regardless of reticle or turret without knowing exact range. Good shooting and congratulations but I can't refrain from suggesting a range finder if you are trying to be that precise at distance, a boiler room shot gives a lot of lee way compared to a head shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.