First custom rifle is here and i think its a keeper!!!!!

It's fatter, if you blow the shoulder up and out, it will have the same capacity as the STW

We're on the same pattern, but different wavelengths...

You're talking about mirroring performance, and I'm talking about mirroring in physical traits (height, length, width, etc) an AI'd STW that is beltless, so all I have to do is ream an STW chamber with the new reamer and use STW neck-sizer dies.

Basically I want a 40* shouldered, improved AI, beltless STW.

I need to know which beltless parent case I can use for forming to mimic the 2.850" case OAL, since everyone says the parent cases I mentioned were too thick to form...

That's entirely too much money and work, especially when I can form RUM brass, since all I would have to do is trim the neck off and finish pushing the shoulder through a forming die, the do a final trim once the neck is formed.

Do you think the brass on the RUM shoulder too thick to be formed into a neck? What if I annealed it first, or used new brass to form?

We're on the same pattern, but different wavelengths...

You're talking about mirroring performance, and I'm talking about mirroring in physical traits (height, length, width, etc) an AI'd STW that is beltless, so all I have to do is ream an STW chamber with the new reamer and use STW neck-sizer dies.

Basically I want a 40* shouldered, improved AI, beltless STW.

I need to know which beltless parent case I can use for forming to mimic the 2.850" case OAL, since everyone says the parent cases I mentioned were too thick to form...

Not sure why you want the 2.850 case, but if you're planning on using the 404 Jeff (RUM) I just don't know how that's going to work out. You're going to have to push the shoulder wayyyyyyy inward and have a very steep case wall. Don't know for sure, but I don't think that is possible in a backyard shop. Well let's say I'm 99.9% sure you're not gonna do it in a backyard shop.

Let's look at it mathematically. The RUM has a .550 base (web) measurement. The STW is .513 The RUM has a .525 shoulder and the STW is .487 the STW's average case wall diameter is .500. You are only going to be able to push the RUM's web diameter in so far, let's say 5 thou. So that gives you a RUM web measurement of .545. In order to bring the average to .500, you have to push the shoulder inward to .455, not counting the increased thickness of the brass. It aint gonna happen. No way. The closest you're going to get dimensionaly to the STW in a beltless case is the 8x68s

One of the draw backs of the STW and RUM cases is their length. If you want to seat the long bullets efficiently, without burrying them into the case, you need to get the extended mag boxes for the 700 size actions. shorter and fatter is better. It's more compact and it's more efficient which was part of Ackley's way of thinking in that he used the straight wall concept.

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but you are not going to make a RUM into a beltless STW.

Roy.....the 8x68 i sa European case that is similar in size to a 300 WM but without the belt. It is a good way to obtain good quality brass.....Rich

Roy.....the 8x68 is a European case that is similar in size to a 300 WM but without the belt. It is a good way to obtain good quality brass.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.