First custom rifle is here and i think its a keeper!!!!!

I posted before I read this. I would encourage you to reconsider your overall length as there is no way you will end up with brass that long. This will cause isssues with carbon forming in the .030" of unused neck area and won't do anything for accuracy. You have lots of case capacity, but what are are really ending up with is a short neck (like the Gibbs). I went through all this and is why my design is 2.525" in length. Hope this helps!.....Rich
I think I'll go back and hit the drawing board on this one.

I just revamped it...

Better?

280Bama_zps8bdc7f03.jpg

I just revamped it...

Better?

280Bama_zps8bdc7f03.jpg

Boy, I've really messed you up now!:D What you had originally is correct (2.525") which is th same as the Sherman. What you have NOW is too long and would describe the situation I THOUGHT you had before Wheeeeeew! 2.540" would be way too long! Anyway, I think you will discover there isn't anymore you can do with a .270 case that will improve it over the Sherman. You can't take anymore taper out and have extraction. You could play with the body/neck length a little, but would end up a wash. The Sherman has a .300" neck. You could add a little more body length and a shorter neck which would give you 5 fps and a short neck:D......Rich

Boy, I've really messed you up now!:D What you had originally is correct (2.525") which is th same as the Sherman. What you have NOW is too long and would describe the situation I THOUGHT you had before Wheeeeeew! 2.540" would be way too long! Anyway, I think you will discover there isn't anymore you can do with a .270 case that will improve it over the Sherman. You can't take anymore taper out and have extraction. You could play with the body/neck length a little, but would end up a wash. The Sherman has a .300" neck. You could add a little more body length and a shorter neck which would give you 5 fps and a short neck:D......Rich

Well, It's staying where it is now, and being called the .280 Bama. LOL :D

It may be close to yours, but it's still a bit different. And that's all that matters.

Well, It's staying where it is now, and being called the .280 Bama. LOL :D

It may be close to yours, but it's still a bit different. And that's all that matters.

Here ya go Mud, use the 8x68S. AI this and you'll have a Bama that is equl to the STW without the belt and a tad shorter. Only problem is the nonstandard .510 bolt face ,but no problem opening up a standard .473

Helps to ad the link :)

Norma USA Reloading Brass 8x68S

Here ya go Mud, use the 8x68S. AI this and you'll have a Bama that is equl to the STW without the belt and a tad shorter. Only problem is the nonstandard .510 bolt face ,but no problem opening up a standard .473
I've already drawn up one that is the identical to the STW, but beltless (.404 Jeffery parent case), but AI'd with blown out walls and 40* shoulder....It's called the 7mm Bellator.

I can't show it, because I'm actually going to have it made. I don't want to be copied.

I've already drawn up one that is the identical to the STW, but beltless (.404 Jeffery parent case), but AI'd with blown out walls and 40* shoulder....It's called the 7mm Bellator.

I can't show it, because I'm actually going to have it made. I don't want to be copied.

In order to get a RUM down to STW capacity you will have to push the shoulder wayyyyyyyy back. I can pretty much 99.9% guarantee you once you try it you will abandon the idea.

anyway, we are straying off topic

In order to get a RUM down to STW capacity you will have to push the shoulder wayyyyyyyy back. I can pretty much 99.9% guarantee you once you try it you will abandon the idea.

anyway, we are straying off topic
It is too short for me to get my wanted OAL....So I might still use that brass to design something else I have in mind.

Thanks for the tip Mark!

The RUM and WSM brass is just short of unworkable if your pushing it back, it's ridiculously thick and gets thicker as you push it back, you end up doing MAJOR trimming and reaming at a few different stages to get a somewhat usable neck. Going up in cal. or forward it works stellar like in the case of the 338 Edge or Teja cases.

Back on subject, dad's got a nice batch of Norma 270 win brass fire formed and it looks very good and it's much more uniform than other 270 spec brass. Primer pockets seemed to hold better so I think he's revisiting some of his hotter loads that shot very well but were a touch hard on cases.
I've been waiting to score some 270 Win RWS brass but it's hard to get!

Kinda like my Sherman case!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.