First Custom.. HS Precision, Red Hawk , or??

Wkerat

Hi, I have been reading the forums for months and have decided I want to get my first custom rifle for hunting. I was just able to draw a oryx tag in New Mexico so I figured now is the time. Anyway, I am down to a 300 win mag or 300 rum based on either a custom action or Remington 700, thumbhole stock, sako extractor, and break. Ideally this will weight under 10 pounds with optics and be solid to 800 yards (ideally I want a 1000 yard gun). A good friend recommended I purchase a HS Precision and I spoke to them about an SPL. From my understanding they manufacture a full custom rifle including the action in house and guarantee 1/2 moa from a bipod at 100 yards. Then I saw a company called Red Hawk Rifles offers what looks to be a accurized remington 700 at a very competitive price(almost half) and also says their guns are 1/2moa . I also have been told to look at Borden rifles and have contacted Kevin from Montour County Rifles as he is not far from me and has a wonderful reputation on here.

So of the three I have contacted does anyone have experience with them? I was barely able to find any posts on HS rifles. What is the benefit of going from a "1/2 moa" red hawk to a Hs or to a MCR for the cost? Ideally I want the best balance of cost and performance and would like to keep the entire rifle with optics under $4,500 (I a, currently leaning toward a leupold vxIII 6.5-20 LRT with custom turrets. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

I love the cartrige choices! Good call.

MCR has a SOLID reputation here on LRH. I've never hered of anyone here who wasn't pleased with thier products. Now imo, that speaks volumes about them. When your dealing with some of the most demanding, & some of the best LR hunters, & shooters in the world, & those same folks speak highly of you, that takes some doing. The MCR boys earned thier reputation as one of the best.
I have no personal experience with them, but I wouldn't hesitate doing business with them if I didn't already have a great smith.
Give MCR a call, & contact any number of top shelf smiths here that sponsors LRH. Kirby, Shawn, Jim, Ted, the list goes on. One of the newer LRH sponsors "grit" has done business with Royinidaho, & Roy has great things to say about him as well.
Len also offers a "custom package" deal LongRangeRifles inc.

I'm the Grit Winmag mentioned. I'll offer some input.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Kevin. All feed back is positive. From his videos and posts, he seems a good guy and a good smith.

With the other two, I'd find out exactly what components are used and what smithing is included. You need to know what you're getting to evaluate the value. I would also seek customer feed back.

With an upcoming hunt setting a deadline, you'll be somewhat limited on who you can use and what components are available. As a recently opened shop, I can offer very good lead times, great customer service, and top notch workmanship. I'll be happy to provide references.

I'd enjoy discussing your build, and providing input, regardless of who you use. Give me a ring.

Congrats on the tag, and upcoming new rifle! :D

Thank you again. Grit, I sent you an e-mail.

Does anyone have feedback on a 300 wm versus 300 rum and also scope suggestions?

Depending on your bullet choice the 300 win will get you anywhere from 850-1k+ on Elk, & well past that for Deer.
The Rum will surpass that pretty easy, but, it has less barrel life. As always, its a give & take, & that's the price you pay for performance. It's all up to you.
Google JBM Ballistics calculator, & you can run the numbers & see for yourself.

If it where me, & I wanted a 1k Elk rifle in a 30 cal it'd be the RUM hands down.
But I went a different route. I personally would prefer a big 338 for Elk at 1k & beyond, so someday ill have an ELR rig built just for that.
In the meantime, I'm a 30 cal FREAK! So my first semi custom is a long barreled 300WSM built by Ted at Teds Custom Shop on one of my old long action Win Model-70's. For simplicity sake, the 300 win, & the 300WSM are so simmilar that they're almost ballistic twins depending on bullet weight, barrel length, & how hard you want to push either one. I love the 300Win, & the 300WSM so I was really torn on which direction to go, but I love my 270WSM so much that I decided on the WSM for my 300 build.
Really, you just can't go wrong with any 300mag for what your wanting to accomplish. Be it WSM, Win, Wby, RUM, or a wildcat of some kind. It's all up to you, & your needs, & wants. If you want a work horse cartrige, your on the right track.

I can vouch for Jim Borden as he is a Benchrest gunsmith and builds his own actions, both for Benchrest and hunting rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.