First coyote outing

Espial

Well, at last what I've been waiting for.
Going out this morning, to call, or I should say try to call coyotes, have no experience in this. Caller is new, decoy also new, 22-250 is clean and sighted 0 at 200 yards.

Hopefully I can post a pic or two!

R

Sorry for the late reply.

No pics, no coyotes.

Went out when it was still dark. Set up the caller and decoy. Waited about 45 min till the sun gave some light, started calling, and nothing.
Then I sit and wonder, how in the world do these guys on tv do it???

Any advice?

And this must sound stupid? What is a foul, fouler, what you are talking about?

R

Most experienced rifle hunters shoot at least 2 shots before hunting.
Most rifles have a different POI with a clean barrel as opposed to one that has had shots down the barrel. Put tape on the end of barrel to protect muzzle and keep dirt & moisture from entering barrel.
Fouling usually refers to having shots fired in the barrel. Residue from shots are called fouling. (Powder, copper, etc.)

I use an app called scoutlook. It has a type of google earth where you can study your hunting area. It has a scent cone feature that is totally bad-***!
I would recommend DVD by PBR outdoors.
They explain caller placement & shooter placement in regards to the wind.
Approach is as important as anything.
There's a lot to it. Predatormasters.com is a good site.
Good luck & enjoy the ride!

I use an app called scoutlook. It has a type of google earth where you can study your hunting area. It has a scent cone feature that is totally bad-***!
I would recommend DVD by PBR outdoors.
They explain caller placement & shooter placement in regards to the wind.
Approach is as important as anything.
There's a lot to it. Predatormasters.com is a good site.
Good luck & enjoy the ride!
+1 on all that. Spend an afternoon on PredatorMasters and you'll be set. There's a wealth of info and good folks over there.

In my area, calling doesn't work. During deer season everybody was seeing yotes.
Now I look @ the map, forecast wind direction and make a snipers hide for ambush.
I like 100 yards or better, but whatever works. I find the area where there is the most tracks & look for a snipers hide that has easy, quick, quite access.
Right now, as I type, I am in the backyard of my buds house. My location looks down into a pasture with a creek running through it. The tracks while the snow was on the ground was incredible. Doesn't make sense, hunting in someone's back yard. Let the conditions direct you for proper set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts