First chuck of the season!!!

remingtonman_25_06

After I was done shooting groups with my .222, I was packing everything up as it was getting very warm, nearing 12 noon. As I was leaving I noticed something a little odd sticking up out of the rocks some 200 yards away. Now we dont have to many of these chucks, but I've shot a few around this location before, so I knew what I was seeing. I"m glad I brought a few extra shells. The rifles currently sighted in w/40g NBT's at 3450fps. I stopped the truck, got my .222 out and put 1 in the chamber..I just used my window as a rest as I had forgot my bipod two! I waited a couple minutes for him to turn sidewise on his rock before I shot. Otherwise the 8x leupold looks pretty small at 200 yards, I'm use to 18-20x! After a couple minutes though, he decided to turn sideways, thats when things went south real quick for mr. rockchuck. I was able to see him fling about 5-6 feet off the rock he was once sitting on!! Pretty good destructiveness out of the 40g NBT, as expected..

The rifle is a mid 80's, Rem 700 ADL w/24" bbl. Leupold VX3, 2.5-8x36. Pretty nice, accurate, lightweight varmint rig for out to 300 yards!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

68iu59u.jpg

Good shooting, Remingtonman.
Not bad for an out of the truck's window at 200 yards.

remington 25-06. I see you have a VX-III 2.5-8x36. I have been thinking about buying one but I'm no sure about the scope. I like leupold but I'm think about putting it on a rifle for larger animals like elk or deer.
What do you think about effective range on the scope ( would you consider it good for a deer sized animal out to 5-600)
I like the idea of smaller scopes if possible.

Nice chuck!
Rh

Its a great scope, very bright and clear in all situations. I happen to like more then 8x, but the scope does serve its purpose well on lightweight rifles. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for deer out to 500, or elk out to 600, thats for sure. Lots of folks use 10x for LR shooting, so 8x will definately work to 600. Good luck!

Nice shootin there! Not too much left of that chuck though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We don't get those up here. Look like they'd be fun to shoot!

Good shooting Remmy. That little tripple duce does a pretty good job with the 40 gr BT.

JD338

Remmy, not trying to hi jack your thread.

Rotorhead, the 2.5x8 VXIII is a great scope. I have no trouble with mine on a 6" bullseye at 500yds. For deer sized game, you should have no worries.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.