First buck of '05

DanielLudwig

First buck of \'05

Well this morning starting off bad, friend missed a small buck right at daylight and i tried to dispatch it before it made it to the treeline, to no avail. saw a really nice buck but had no oppurtunity for a shot, then all was quiet till after 5pm, when a spike wondered out of the woods about 110yds away. I decided to take the shot since the deer wasnt nervous i figured he'd make good eating. The angle was kind of odd because the deer was across a big ditch in the field and it was actually facing steeply downhill and quartering to me slightly, i was on top a hill so i was well above the deer, making the angle of the shot very steep. i aimed infront of his shoulder and squeezed off a 100gr Sierra SBT and it hit right where i held, the deer bucked and ran towards the ditch and out of sight. I waited afew minutes and walked down over the hill and found the buck in the ditch folded up nicely. I was very happy with the shot placement considering the angle at which i shot the deer, the bullet went in ahead of the onside shoulder and took out a large portion of the heart and one lung, and exited through the offside shoulder right at the point, taking alot of bone with it, and leaving a whole roughly the size of a baseball under the skin, but suprisingly the external damage was not too dramatic.
I should have further updates tomorrow and hopefully some longer yardage shots too.
later
Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.