First blood with .257 Wby Mag.

LOAD MY 257 WBY WITH A 100gr BARNES TRIPLE SHOCK OVER MAX LOAD OF RL22. CHRONOGRAPHED AT OVER 3700fps IT WAS A HAMMER ON A MULIE AT OVER 350yds.....WENT IN ONE SIDE AND OUT THE OTHER. GROUPS ARE SUB MOA WITH THAT COMBO IN MY MARK V. HAVE NO COMPLAINTS WHATSOEVER. :)

Yeah, I wanna start reloading...but the money to get into it is a little more than I can afford to spend.

What is the heaviest grain .257 caliber bullet available? Either custom or production...

Well what I could find as far as production is Berger and Nosler. The best is the Berger at .466BC and the Nosler coming in at .453. Just remember though, speed can and will negate BC with the right bullet. What I mean is that if you get it going fast enough, the bullet will have less drift and a longer trajectory if you can get it going fast enough. Sure it won't be as effective as a high BC bullet, but will still do its job. You'll just have to know its limitations.

Tank

Yeah, I was just hoping that maybe a 140+ grain bullet might be available....

That way it would shoot up to 1,000 without dropping 200"+ with a 300 yard zero.

Yeah, I was just hoping that maybe a 140+ grain bullet might be available....

That way it would shoot up to 1,000 without dropping 200"+ with a 300 yard zero.

I think when wildcat bullets were being produced they had a 140 class bullet. That would be a killer round. If the new owner ever gets up and running again that will be a caliber to look at again. I like the .257 round. I have dropped a few deer successfully with a 25-06. It would be interesting to use a pointing die on the 120 HPBT Game King and see if that increased the BC much. It has a very open hollow point for expansion.

Tank

I think when wildcat bullets were being produced they had a 140 class bullet. That would be a killer round. If the new owner ever gets up and running again that will be a caliber to look at again. I like the .257 round. I have dropped a few deer successfully with a 25-06. It would be interesting to use a pointing die on the 120 HPBT Game King and see if that increased the BC much. It has a very open hollow point for expansion.

Tank
I just wish that Nosler would make a 140 or 150 grain Accubond for the .257........

I think a 150 AccuBond would be the next "big thing" and help to bring in the .257 Weatherby back in a whole new way. Not to mention that it would probably be THE singlemost baddest whitetail (or Mule) deer cartridge EVER.

I just wish that Nosler would make a 140 or 150 grain Accubond for the .257........

I think a 150 AccuBond would be the next "big thing" and help to bring in the .257 Weatherby back in a whole new way. Not to mention that it would probably be THE singlemost baddest whitetail (or Mule) deer cartridge EVER.

You know, I did some research many, many years ago on 25 calibers. It was proven that the 257 Weatherby Mag had better capability to punch through bullet proof glass without deflection than a .308 or .300WM. I think it is a good caliber, just don't want to pay for the Weatherby brass. I would more than likely go to a 25WSM or something in that lines.

Tank

Well. Looks like I'll be doing some shooting this weekend with the .257 Wby. A guy I know still has a bunch of deer tags and needs help knocking them out. I told him out to 500 yards I was good to go, and he said that was fine with him. He said to do whatever and have fun long range hunting.

Can't wait!

Well. Looks like I'll be doing some shooting this weekend with the .257 Wby. A guy I know still has a bunch of deer tags and needs help knocking them out. I told him out to 500 yards I was good to go, and he said that was fine with him. He said to do whatever and have fun long range hunting.

Can't wait!

You "SUCK!!!!". Have fun, I'll be pulling for the deer... LOL!!! Just kidding, a little jealous, that's all. The only time I see deer in my neck of the woods is when they are trying to commit suicide and jumping in front of my car at night. gun)

Tank

Well......Unfortunately I never got to go. It started raining a bunch and weather got all hot and nasty and they just weren't moving...

I just found me a used virtually mint (got a few blueing blend where a scope was...But the stock is perfect) condition Weatherby Mark V Delux sporter in .257 Wby Mag at my local outdoors store for $900.....Is that a good price.

Well......Unfortunately I never got to go. It started raining a bunch and weather got all hot and nasty and they just weren't moving...

I just found me a used virtually mint (got a few blueing blend where a scope was...But the stock is perfect) condition Weatherby Mark V Delux sporter in .257 Wby Mag at my local outdoors store for $900.....Is that a good price.

Is that a good price? I think so. But you could always go on Gunbroker and see what other .257's are going for. Works for me.

Good shooting

The bore is excellent. It looks like it's never been shot...No pitts or streaking in the lands and grooves. It's just a beautiful gun and it's been sitting up there for a while...I'm gonna see if they could make a better price on it. ;)

Where I hunt I have to do a ton of walking and my AccuMark is so friggin heavy that I rarely carry it. This one weight like half as much, and it's my favorite caliber, so I figure why not? Guess I'll be saving for it for a little bit... It has no scope, but it has some really nice 30MM rings. They might be Beaullers...Not sure, but I know they're high-dollar.

Thanks for the advice.

I just found out that it's a late 80's early 90's Mark V that was made at the Weatherby plant in Japan...... Are those still just as good as the Mark V's that are made here???

The stock has a very thin palm-swell and feels really nice. They have a new one just like it in .257 Wby Mag, but the palm-swell feels alot "fatter" and not as good to me...Plus they want $1,800+ for it when I could get the used one for half that.

What would yall do?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.