First black rifle..

BuckSnort

A buddy of mine surprised me with an AR the other day, I have been wanting one for years.. The upper is a Stag 2H.. As soon as I wait my 10 days to get the lower I plan on putting it together and working on some loads... My question is what kind of accuracy should I expect?.. In all of my bolt rifles I have no problems working loads that produce sub MOA groups..

I have a Rem Model 7 in 223 that I have loaded 500 rounds for ( 55gr. V-max in front of 25 gr. Benchmark) The brass is all full length sized, can I shoot this ammo safely as long as it is good for OAL ?

Would the 1:9 twist stabilize a Hornady 68gr BTHP?

BuckSnort,

Congrats on the new toy! They're great rifles and I'm sure you'll have a ball with it once it's up and running. As to the accuracy, that's a difficult question since there's so many variables involved. As to the AR system/design, yes, they're extremely accurate. Easily the most accurate Service Rifle the US military has ever adopted. Sub MOA groups are downright boring in a properly built AR, and those that will break 1/2 MOA on a regular basis are pretty common. Some will do better. The question comes in as to the quality of the barrel, how well the gas tube's fitted, chamber dimensions and type, and how it's throated. Like I siad, lots of variables.

There is another way to find out; go shoot it. With decent ammo, I doubt that you'll have any problems getting into the MOA neighborhood, give or take a little. Just remember to avoid the FMJ surplus stuff, as it's generally 2-3 MOA stuff out of a really good rifle. Just wasn't meant for any better precision than this. With good match bullets and proper reloading, you'll do better than this easily. And yes, the 1x9" is perfectly adequate for the 68-69 grain bullets, no problem.

Cool, Thanks for the reply I appreciate the info...Now I need to research a little about how to put them together and then go shoot it..

I think you'll be very suprised how easy AR lowers are to assemble (correctly:rolleyes:), I built one earlier this year for my STAG upper, take your time & enjoy. I shoot the Hornady 68grn Match bullet (1-9 twist) & have been very happy with it's accuracy, even with a non-magnified red dot.

I also just fired my first AR, a Stag lower purchased striped with a DPMS upper SS 24 inch 1/8 twist after bore sighting in my basement took it to the PA Savage shoot two weeks ago had it dead on a 6 inch steel plate at two hundred years.
Lower worked well JUST needs a proper trigger installed will have to take care of this as this AR was sure fun to shoot especially on steel at two and three hundreed yards

Thanks guys, I get to pick up the lower tomorrow and hope to have it together soon.. Besides the correct roll pin punches are there any more tools I need?

OK, putting it all together was easy, I just cannot figure out the bullet button (CA legal) This is what came in the kit....

a5908dad.jpg

I think I got it figures out..The red anodized piece is a tool for the actual bullet button that wasn't in the bag...

Bucksnort,

A "bullet button" replaces the standard magazine release button, which is also in the bag. CA reguires a bullet button to be legal so you can't do quick tactical reloads, you need a bullet to push the magazine release. If you don't need a CA legal Ar just put in the standard black mag release and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.