First attempt at reloading 115 VLDs in my 25-06

Korhil78

This is from a Remington 700 BDL 25-06 with factory 24" barrel and full length aluminum bedded Hogue stock.

First group (only 3 shot groups so far)
DSC00891.jpg

Second group
DSC00895.jpg

Third group
DSC00894.jpg

So far I am pretty pleased with the results that this bullet has given just on the first three test loads with RL 19. I just bought a pound of Retumbo to try out and also have 8lbs of RL 17 that I am going to test. Didnt have a chrono on this run but will have one on the next.

Hoping that I can get a good accurate load with about 3k velocity as this will help me reach out to about 600 yards for deer with the good BC that these bullets have.

Half inch acccuracy and 3000K + should give you 600 yard easily on white tail, let the fun begin:D
What are berger quoting for the BC of the 115gr VLD??

The G1 is .466 and the G7 is .239.

These loads were not hot so im gonna try working up from 52 gr and see what I get velocity and accuracy wise. I seated them .010 off of the lands and it seems to like it.

I think the max range that I would try on game is around 700 yards. Should be a lot of fun building this load up.

BTW..My wife used to live in Auckland for many years. Sister-in-law still lives there. I have been there twice and love the fishing and terrain. Never got to go hunting though.

Looking good. I'm a big RL19 fan in the 25/06. Never tried the 115 VLD,but my 110gr AccuBonds love the RL19. I landed comfortably at 53gr for the 110. This from a factory BDL.

Yes sir,

I was thinking of doing 52.5 and 53 and see where that puts me. If it gets too hot on 53, I will just start backing it down by .1 grain increments until its good. Will see how the accuracy and velocity is there.

I'm gonna try Retumbo and RL 17 and see how they do but I am like you 25Otter. I have never used any other powder in the 25-06 but RL19. Just so I know, what kind of velocity are you getting out of your 53 gr of RL19 with the 110 accubond?

Never clocked them. (seems setting up the chronograpd is too much like work) I would like to get to the range this weekend though. If I do I'll blow a couple over it and see what happens. Been meaning to,just never took the time. I shoot a lot of 85 and 87gr ballistic tips as well. Over 56gr of RL19. Sweet accuracy and a lightning strike on woodchucks :cool:.

Just got back from the range and the 110 A.B. went 3,056 average of 4 shots @ 53gr of RL 19. Seems there is room for a little more as these showed no sign of being hot. 1/2 MOA or a little less without fussing over things. Just line her up and touch her off. Could be this seasons whitetail brew.

Thx for the info on the velocity. I am going to try to get these 115 VLD to shoot at 3k or more. It will be perfect for a longer range mule deer shot down here in New Mexico. When I say longer range, that means 600 yards for me. Once I get this load down to where I want it, I am going to start shooting at 10" steel plates at varying wind speeds from 700 yards on in. Trying to understand the wind effects can be taxing on the patience!

I dont know if you have ever used the VLD's before. I have not. I have never used the accubonds either, only the 100 gr barnes. If I get a shot at a muley this year, I will try to recover the bullet and get some pictures of the damage in the chest area that it does and post them on here.

Cool. I was down New Mex way in '07. Hunted coyote with a call maker friend of mine. It was blackpowder Mulie season when I was down. We hunted between TX and Carlsbad. I saw a bunch of country and came to the conclusion you all live in a hunting paradise. Up here you don't make a move without permission. Everything outside state land is posted. I just reveled in being able to hunt mile after mile of open hunting land. My personal brass ring is to come back someday for a Barbary sheep. Saw some tracks the last afternoon but didn't have time to follow up for a look.
I'd sure love to see your Mulie pics should you nail one. The fella I was visiting had a 200+" N.M. monster on the wall. Makes me wonder why I have 6 Colorado deer points :rolleyes:.
The 25 Otter is a great round. Simple,straight forward and user friendly. Mine shoots just about everything well. The 110 AB went under .5 MOA yesterday. The 85/87gr ballistic tip type bullets will bug hole with regularity. 100gr Speer HP = more bug hole groups. 117gr Hornedy SP are easily under .7". Better if I drop the charge a little,but I like the 117 a little on the warm side. Just a joy to work with. RL 19 & IMR 4350 are the powders of choice. Happy hunting gun).

my 2506 likes 56.5 grains of h1000 with 115 vlds. H1000, Retumbo, and Magnum can get you up to 3100. I've not chronographed mine yet. But, berger's load data shows velocities over 3100 with the powders mentioned above. H1000 just happened to be more accurate in mine.
gun)

The .25-06 does seem to be an easy round to load for. I have owned and shot a Sendero SF for several years now and it has always given great accuracy with most every bullet I have tried in it.
I am currently loading 54.0gn of RL22/BR2 with the 115gn Berger Hunting VLD and getting .3" and averaging 3100fps. I just loaded up a couple dozen this afternoon to do some testing at 500yds with later this week.
I have burnt alot of RL22 in mine but it adapts easily to other powders. Mine shoots bug holes with the 100gn Ballistic Tip and Barnes TSX (one bad arse little bullet!) at approx 3300fps. It also loves the 115gn Ballistic Tip and 117gn Sierra. I push those at 3050fps and they are great deer stoppers.
My favorite varmint bullet has been the 75gn Sierra HP using IMR4064/BR2's. This load runs at 3500+fps and shoots bug holes. Crows turn in to black powder puffs when hit with these.
Back in 2005 I tried the 110gn AB using 54.5gn RL22. Accuracy ran about .6" at best and velocity was approx. 3271fps. I may try them again but use different powders.
I just loaded up some 115gn FB Barnes X bullets today. I loaded 3 and tried them at 100yds. Didn't chrono them but accuracy ran about .75" for 3 shots at 100yds. Not too concerned with their accuracy considering their intended purpose. I have a 200-300lb boar that's scarfing my corn and scaring off my bucks. More on this later. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.