First AR-15 Build, Want the best bang for the buck.

Azshios84

First time building an AR-15, Looking to do it with fully built uppers and lowers. So far ive heard a lot about BCM and Stag Uppers. However I am open to suggestions. Im trying to keep the price as low as possible. $1,000 is really pushing it for me.. If the lower has no stock, or the upper has no rails/handgaurds Ill be going with the Magpul stock and rail systems. Plus Magpul back up sights. Thanks for any suggestions and help. Just trying to see what other options are out there. :)

Azshios84,

Would help a bit to know whaat you're wanting to do with it when you're done. That will make some major differences in how you'd want to set it up. How much for a trigger, will the bbl be floated, A2 or A4 upper, that sort of thing.

I just finished building a BCM 16" upper with mid-length YHM handguards. It's on a Lauer lower with a RR 2-stage trigger. Shoots under 1/2" group at 100 yds using handloads I developed for my bolt gun. Nice, lightweight predator and squirrel rifle.

Last edited:
I think there is a big difference between a 16 and 20 inch barrel. If you want something for urban combat operations, maybe the 16 inch is better. If you want to shoot to 600 yards in various club competitions and don't regularly engage moving targets from your vehicle, then I would also consider a 20 inch barrel.:)

Sorry for the vague details. Im just looking to build an AR to shoot with a good hunting buddy of mine... Mostly range and run-n-gun drills. Maybe rockchucks, even with plinking the farthest ill probably be shooting is 300 yards, thats all the range we have around here. But other than that not much.
This is what I have in mind so far;

BCM M4 16" Upper Receiver Group

Lower Receiver Parts Kit AR-15

Lower Receiver Stripped AR-15 Forged Matte

Would that be adequate for those situations. If I need long range shots ill just drag out the 308, Im not really worried about long range stuff with rifle.

Carbine length is fine. I prefer the 16" mid-length upper ($90 more). It has a longer sight radius and provides more room for my support hand (I'm 6'2"). If you prefer the shorter handguard, then go for it. BCM makes quality, reliable equipment.

Hopefully, you know someone who has the proper tools for assembling an AR-15.

BCM is a good choice stay away from stag. For the money your not going to find a better deal than this one. There are a few names in the AR comunity you can bet your life on. BCM, COLT,LMT, and Daniel Defence all ofthers are just hoby guns!

Colt SP 6920 at G&R Tactical
Here is my SPR mostly BCM parts
guns0012.jpg

MRP piston/LMT lower
005.jpg

Wifes light weight patrol rifle daniel defence/LMT lower
002.jpg

Did you check out model 1 sales or CMMG and DSA and palemento state armory ? You can build your ar and or buy everything but the stripped lower without an FFL .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts