First 2 groups with the 30/338 Lapua Imp

Brent

I finally made it out to start breaking in the new barrel this morning, and I was pretty happy with it considering I was cleaning between shots.

Keep in mind, this barreled action has no recoil lug on it and is fixing to get into its new stock with a barrel block as soon as I get done doing some load development and pressure testing. The barreled action is just setting in a *** plastic 700 ADL stock that's been hogged out to the max to accomadate the 30" 1.350" straight tube Lilja. Recoil is being absorbed by the mag box and screws, that's all. Recoil is pretty minimal with rifle, 5.5-22 NF scope and all weighing 17# at this point.

The rifle is truely nothing to look at at this point.

The first was a four shot group, it took two sighters to get me up to the bull after bore sighting... would have been one, but I dialed the opposite way I should have when rezeroing off the first shot
rolleyes.gif

I had 3 shots left over for a second group, both were shot at 100 yards. The other tiny two shot group was from my 300 Ultra with the scope left zeroed for the 30/338 LI after I switched the 5.5-22 NF back to the Ultra. Makes it easy to remember the difference between the two rifles zero points.

Load was a 200gr Accubond over 90gr Retumbo at 3.750". Pressure on the Oehler 43 indicated 54,000 - 60,000 psi without settling in the bbl fouling yet. Much more testing to follow...

fae8cbcc.jpg

fae8caab.jpg

Brent,
I will be nice to see your rifle in it's
completed state. Thanks for the update on it's progress. Looking forward to see data with pressure readings as our cartridges are very similar. If possible how about some data with the 240 SMK
grin.gif

Wayne

Brent
looks like you got a good one bet you cant weight to get it in the stock
grin.gif

Crow Mag

Wayne,

I can't wait to get it all finished up and see how well it's really capable of shooting. I'll try and pick up some 240's here and get some data on them too. I'll probably use RL25 and Retumbo for most of my testing. The 210 Berger and JLK are both up at the top of the list too.

I will keep you posted as I gather more data with it.
smile.gif

Wayne, thanks.
smile.gif
But I'll just order some with the Bergers and JLK's tomarrow if my smith in Anchorage doesn't have them all in stock there. I'll try to get em tested ASAP, I know you're dieing to hear the results too.
grin.gif
wink.gif

Anyone have experience with the 240's in an 11 twist bbl and know if they will stabilize fine, at least while they're supersonic? Making the transition to subsonic shows they will then go unstable, at least it does with the RSI Shooting Lab if I remember correctly. I'll have to run it again and look tho.

Rick, Chris, Boyd, Darryl, you guys been playing with the 240's for a while now, are all yours 10 twist bbl's or has/is anyone played/playing with the 11 too?

Actually, I like the looks of it.
It kinda reminds me of a bolt-action front-loader I looked at not long ago.

I am kinda amazed that nothing happened with only the screws as the bearing surface.

But then again I am far from being any type of expert on thrust loads and whatnot.

Good Job.

Tackdriver,

Thanks. I think most of the recoil is being absorbed by the magazine box and the screws aren't taking much, if any of it.

I shot a single .64 MOA 9 shot group with 178 A-Max's and 95gr RL25 yesterday. MV was between 3365 and 3400 fps at 55,000 psi average. I just got my dies back from JLC Precision so now I can get serious about reloading for it.

Wayne,
I wasn't able to get any of the bullets I had hoped to here locally, I'll have to order them all now. 30 cal 190 Bergers and some 7mm JLK's was all he had in stock.

Darryl, I'm hoping the 11 twist will work with the longer 240 SMK until they go subsonic, a stability factor of 1.2-1.3 at the muzzle should get me to 1000 yards or better, if it starts out that high to begin with in the 11 twist. I won't know until I can get some measurments off the 240 SMK what SF it will start out with tho. It seems I was looking at a 210 Berger on the RSI Shooting Lab before, not the 240 SMK.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.