Fires and Evacuations in Central/South Idaho

mtnwrunner

Wow, this is getting bad. Major fires in the area here and they have just issued pre evacuation orders for the city of Ketchum and mandatory evacs for a lot of the drainages off of highway 75 north of Hailey. I've offered to house animals/horses here on the ranch which is south of the area but not by much. If you all know of anyone in the Hailey/Ketchum/Sun Valley area who needs to house animals or a place to stay, let me know and we'll put em somewhere. Here's a couple of photos to the north of us.

Randy

Attachments

• fire 003.JPG
    fire 003.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 14
  • fire 004.JPG
    fire 004.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 9
  • fire 005.JPG
    fire 005.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 12
  • fire 001.JPG
    fire 001.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 10
Each year seems to be getting progressively worse!

I feel for those impacted. Kind of frightening!

I suppose that the fires will impact game in a major way.

I'm thinkin' it may make woofs a bit easier to hunt.

Keep'r wet.

Sheriff just issued pre evac orders for all of west Hailey.
You should see these plumes---unbelievable. I would guess they are going up to 20,000 feet +

Randy

Keep'r wet.

Roy, fish and game came out today and said that anyone who had tags in the affected areas can exchange them for other areas---I'll send them your way...:D

And you bet I'm keeping er wet---got all the irrigation I can on about 200 acres.

Randy

Originally Posted by royinidaho

Keep'r wet.

Roy, fish and game came out today and said that anyone who had tags in the affected areas can exchange them for other areas---I'll send them your way...:D

And you bet I'm keeping er wet---got all the irrigation I can on about 200 acres.

Randy

Went through a big fire deal (Poe Cabin Fire) here on the north end of Hells Canyon five-six years ago. Two "Hot Shot" teams with all their resources stopped the fire from breaking over the ridge right above the ranch. Would have kissed each one if I could have lined them up. Did personally thank the fella in charge of the fire on this end and the leader of the Hot Shot crew that did the backfiring. Two very talented men.

The point I want to make is the deer and elk were right back in the burn as soon as it cooled off. One neat thing about hunting burns and I have done that a lot in the Coast Range of Central Ca. when I was young is the horns when rubbed out on burnt brush in the following seasons are very dark with ivory tips.

Anyway it gets pretty stressful getting all the stock to a safe zone. Makes one wish the root cellar had been built larger. Hope everyone around Ketchum and Sun Valley stays safe.

I can smell burnt pine here in Michigan, my neighbor told me to get up earley in the morning this is the first thing I could smell. I am so sad for the people affected buy this.
Mother nature is being a real BITCH this year.
We have had some fires here in the UP of Michigan, but the crews got on it real fast.

I've smelled that smell down here (in the southern lower) as well and didn't know what it was. I do now. Our prevaling winds are from the southwest blowing northeast almost all the time.

Lots of precip here, in fact too much. I''ve had a terrible year bringing in hay, my only salvation is being retired I can play hop scotch with Ms. Nature to some extent.

Irrigation or not, it still looks drier that a popcorn fart out there.......

One bitch of a fire. Another 1000 firefighters brought in over the weekend. A couple of DC 10's, a BUNCH of other planes and lots of helos. A buddy of mine said that the hospital area was totally red from retardant as they have just bombed the area to heck as they are doing everything they can to protect it. Still about 2500 homes evacuated.
All I can say is god bless the men and women up here giving it their all.

Randy

I just came in from the back yard its 11:00 PM and its in the air, the smell is being noticed all over here.

You know how old uncle sugar is setting on his ***, he should convert a dozen or three C47s, into temparary water bombers.
this would be a good idea.
All the planes are doing is setting stagnent on the runways, ask any body at ELLSWORTH.
The pilots would love to get some stick time.

God Bless, those who risk there lives for the safety of others!!

We flew over to Salmon to pick up a patient the other day and could see the ELK, PONY, Beaver Creek, and three other fires in Jackson Wy area. It looked like there were volcanos erupting all over. Giant Smoke Plumes going up to the 20,000 ft range, we were flying at 14,000 and they were way above us.
It is Crazy right now!! There were Three DC-10 tankers filling up in Pocatello headed that way.

I hope the Air stays clear for you Randy!!

Interestingly, my wife Amy asked me if someone was burning brush to the west of us a little while ago. We have a pretty stiff SW to NE breeze tonite and it's plainly there on the wind.

Amazing you can smell it at this distance. I told her it was our country burning up...out west.

Fingers and toes crossed for you guys and gals out there....

A few years ago we looked at property in central Texas to farm or ranch of course. I was kind of amazed at the acerage I'd need out there to equal my acerage versus production here.

Video and photos of Beaver Creek Fire

[ame=http://vimeo.com/72619750]Beaver Creek Wildfire Video on Vimeo[/ame]

Here is a video shot by a local who was evac'ed. Photos were taken yesterday out in front of a local grocery store. Fire is mainly north of here.
Still working out in the fields at the ranch and watching the DC 10's flying back and forth. Pretty **** amazing plane.
One of the problems they are having is finding water. Not many lakes close and the Big Wood is really low. Sun Valley turned on their snow making equipment to protect the ski hill.

Randy

Attachments

• fire 004.JPG
    fire 004.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 10
  • fire 003.JPG
    fire 003.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 8
  • fire 001.JPG
    fire 001.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 9
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts