fireforming cases.

longgunshooter

doest it affect accuracy much.

reason for the question is the current batch of brass im on is starting to show signs of wear and needing to be chucked in the can. bad planning on my part i guess with not having abunch of formed cases on hand, but with the hunts fast approaching i dont have the time to be forming cases with squib loads just to be turning around and loading them up again.

do i really have anything to worry about?

opinions please. experience preferred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First what are you fire forming? I have done plenty of fire forming, with some calibers the accuracy is real good with others marginal...what are your groups like?

I never form with squib loads. If they fit tight on the shoulder somewhere accuracy should be very good. The brass is just like the bladder in a fuel tank. It is tight against the chamber walls long before any real pressure developes anyway. Now as long as the bullet in nice and straight in the bore and the seating depth is on your sweet spot there is no reason it shouldn't be just fine.

I fireform all my brass before loading for accuracy. I do this because I neck size for the most part and it gives me a better case/chamber fit. If you plan on FL sizing, just run them through your die now and have at it. If the brass and other components are from the same lot as used before, accuracy should be as expected.

Of course, testing the final product is always a good idea.

An easy way to form brass is to use Cream of Wheat (COW) or cornmeal over a light charge of pistol/shotgun powder.

You don't waste a bullet nor wear your barrel excessively. Helps you get rid of all those old or mystery primers too.

Jerry

Why are you fire forming? Usually a fireformed load is for a wildcat or ackley improved version of the case. Just load up your normal load and go.

d-a

....please expand on this technique.

i have a bunch of blue dot.
how much do i charge it with, and do i fill the remainder of the case with c.o.w? how do you keep from spilling the c.o.w out the end of the case if its not in a solid form?

thanks

had a nick in the chamber shoulder(long story, dont lend you pets to your friends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif) that had to be recut/polished out. moved the shoulder .010 out of standard specs...i fireform so they are snug to my chamber.

WEll I have one of Kirby's works and it requires fireformed cases. Here is a group I shot with fire form loads, using 150gr Nosler Solid bases and 872, at 200yds.
150grNSB081906R.jpg

I have also gotten some very impressive goups using standard cases in Ackley chambers during forming.

Your milage may vary, good luck.

In a 300RUM, 200AB, US869, I've noticed different POI with fireformed cases vs. virgin--about 1" at 100yds. I don't recall noticing this with other loads. Accuracy was similar but just a bit worse it seemed with virgin brass. After fireforming the neck turning is able to help out a bit and that may be part of what I was seeing. Good luck.

I thought you might like to see my attemp at making 300Wby brass out of 257Wby brass. They were just annealed 1 firing ago. I just can't figure out why this didn't work. So much for cheap 300Wby brass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Seriously, this was an accident. I just did this yesterday while testing at the range. I only use Accubonds so at first glance they all look the same. This was a max load with a .257" 110 Accubond fired in my 300Wby Accumark. At the shot it just went pop! There was no recoil and the chronograph read 1656fps. We were shooting at 200 yards and had been printing nice 5/8" groups back to back off the bags. This one didn't even hit the paper.

opps001na7.jpg

opps002wy6.jpg

I wonder if my Lee die will iron this out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts