Fired case storage

agdavis

I have a few boxes of brass that I have fired and I was wondering what is best for long term storage, up to and mabey more then a year, removing the primer or leaving it in?

I haven't had any problem with leaving fired cases sealed in plastic sandwich bags for several years with the primers left in place.
It would be pertinent to deprime fired cases if they have been exposed to moisture, such as in your jacket pocket for a day or so in wet weather, I know, got caught out on this, the anvils rusted and caused the primers to weld themselves into the pockets and they only partially came out, the primer walls stayed in place. This happened about 12 months after they got damp.

Cheers.
gun)

I haven't had any problem with leaving fired cases sealed in plastic sandwich bags for several years with the primers left in place.
It would be pertinent to deprime fired cases if they have been exposed to moisture, such as in your jacket pocket for a day or so in wet weather, I know, got caught out on this, the anvils rusted and caused the primers to weld themselves into the pockets and they only partially came out, the primer walls stayed in place. This happened about 12 months after they got damp.

Cheers.
gun)

+1, good advice. Something else I have found - if there is carbon on the neck it is worth the time to give each one on quick wipe with a t-shirt or very fine steel wool before storing. It has been my experience that if they sit for a while it is much harder to remove.

I deprime them and toss them in an empty plastic coffee can for later.

I have about a thousand 9 mm cases sitting on the shelf and I don't own a 9mm....:D

I buy large lots of 223 OFMB, most come in primer intact and I've never had an issue depriming much later on.

clean, deprime and stuff in a coffee can is how I store brass. I have never had an issue with shelf life of brass as long as it is kept clean and dry.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.