fire forming duds

bruton

i have been fir forming hulls fora 25-06 ackly by reoading new 2506 brass with a mild to warm load with a 117 gr bullet touching the land , here the question some shoot some dont primer is being hit by firing pin but weakly, any infowould be appreciated thanks Jeff

You need to seat your bullets out further. Sounds like the case is moving forward when the firing pin hits the primer. Even if the person who chambered the rifle has the headspace correct, there is no way to control the headspace on factory brass.

you need to seat your bullets out further. Sounds like the case is moving forward when the firing pin hits the primer. Even if the person who chambered the rifle has the headspace correct, there is no way to control the headspace on factory brass.

+1
j e custom

If you are going to use the bullet method, as stated, you have to seat them out further.

There is another way that is surer and produces excellant results by using a false shoulder. Plus you can use pistol powder and toilet paper without any bullets.

Forming 6BR Improved Cases

BH

False shoulder works like a champ. I use it for my 6BRX. I recently FF 70 rounds without any problems.

+1 on the false shoulder advice. I've also been loading fireform loads lately for the .25-06 AI. Sounds like yours is a little generous on head space and the firing pin is driving the cases forward so some don't fire.

I bought a Redding tapered expander ball to bring the necks up to .270. Then neck size back to .257. The tapered Redding expander threads right onto RCBS decapping rod. Anyway, when partial sizing the neck back down, just keep slowly screwing the die down a quarter turn at a time and trying the case in the chamber until it just fits nice and snugly. Good luck.

-- gr8whyt

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.