finnlight wsm pressure on extraction

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by motorgoat, Oct 4, 2011.

1. motorgoat

motorgoat New Member

Greetings, i was looking for a little insight prior to sending rifle off for repairs if needed. 6 mths plus ago i purchased a Finnlight .270wsm . I just now got around to shooting it, (i know....) Anyway, during barrel break in only 7 shots fired so far, shooting Fed prem ammo, the rounds feed smoothly, however after the shot they are extremly difficult extract- opening the bolt takes some umph! it opens just not like i believe it should and then the extractors mar the base of the casing. iam only guessing that this is a headspace issue?

This exact problem happend with a model 700 .300wsm i bought a few years back, i tried 3 differents brands of ammo, all had same issue, so i returned it and bought a .300 rum.. ANYWAY.. back to the finnlight.

thank you much!

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Just a guess but I'd say take it to a good gunsmith and have them check the head space as it sounds like it's a little too tight.

The other possibilities would and especially tight throat and or neck.

Either way I would definitely say you need a good gunsmith to evaluate the problem before doing any more shooting.